admin
Site Admin

SG Giveaway: Kenshi

Mon May 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Kenshi is an amazingly ambitious squad-based RPG from developer Lo-Fi Games, currently in Early Access. Featuring an open-ended sandbox gameplay where you literally make your own story, it allows you to...

http://www.strategygamer.com/articles/sg-giveaway-kenshi/

THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED.

Winners have been contacted via Forum PM shortly, so please keep an eye on your inbox.

damalsk

Mon May 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Many RPG games have attempted to add elements of strategy and tactics to make group action more significant. Tell us about a game you think has done this particularly well, and how you personally would iterate on it or make it better.

(sorry, for some reason the rest of the post didn't appear)

Dead State. I think the only thing that could make this game better is to get rid of the bugs and glitches so I can feel like I'm playing a complete game.

kudeko

Mon May 15, 2017 6:02 pm

any game i know has this skills, but i add to skyrim because is more greater some people in your side kill dragons o made quest.

bitpeko

Mon May 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Dwarf Fortress is one of the games that does group combat best, the fact that so many things are randomized. Every single weapon, armour and body part has different properties including density, weight and edge, all of this makes for extremely fun engagements. When this incredible amount of things, come into play including the dozen skills, mental attributes and size of the warriors every single combat becomes a truly unique experience.

Rohantailor1986

Mon May 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Despite not being specifically about team combat, I think VATS from fallout was a game changer to strategic combat. That you could specifically target body parts such as a leg which might slow an opponent enough to enable the rest of your team to do some serious damage. This can really play a key role in multi-enemy or high strength enemies. I don't think I'd change anything aside from make sure the hit percentages are accurate. The amount of times I missed a 90% hit and 3 or 4 times in a row...still gets me...

SteelHeel

Mon May 15, 2017 7:53 pm

I think that the system implemented in XCOM and XCOM 2 blend strategy and tactics in group play well. Team work between the characters in necessary for success and survival and the system is easy to learn. I believe that a turn-based system makes it easier to build in a strong group tactical layer. I would like to see more RPG games use a real-time mode for the majority of play but then switch to a turn-based mode for combat.

Flametm

Mon May 15, 2017 8:16 pm

In my opinion xcom series was one of the best strategic games thanks of its innovative features such as teamworking, any member of the team was really significant and could make the difference. Games should focus as much as they ccan on the group, i would like lots of personalizations on any member

Chivo

Tue May 16, 2017 3:28 am

I think that games like XCOM and The Banner Saga implement very well the synergy between classes and characters. On the other hand I think that Darkest Dungeon can also be taken into account. Despite having mentioned games by turn, I am quite interested in real-time combat. But I personally love having a wide variety of customization options, both combat and appearance

Courtlandia

Tue May 16, 2017 5:46 am

Divinity Original Sin has done a great job at making group tactics fun and interesting by allowing abilities to interact with the environment as was as other abilities. Everything from electrocuting an enemy standing in a puddle of water created by another characters rain spell, to teleporting a creature that a team mate summoned such that it self destructs into a group of enemies, or even turning an enemy into a chicken so that it will wander away aimlessly which will provoke an attack of opportunity from another character. What makes it fun is that the combinations are free form, and make your group feel like a clever, dynamic, and coordinated team rather than a bunch of role based individuals. An improvement I'd love to see is an ability crafting feature so the player can come up with abilities and combinations themselves rather than buying pre-set abilities. Crafting could be done by allowing certain ability parameters to be selected such as having an ability be a projectile, target the ground, or a specific creature type or body part.

The Fox

Re: SG Giveaway: Kenshi

Tue May 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Many RPG games have attempted to add elements of strategy and tactics to make group action more significant. Tell us about a game you think has done this particularly well, and how you personally would iterate on it or make it better.

The original Mass Effect trilogy had group gameplay where you could grow attached to members of your party.
These storylines between characters were also present in Dragon Age Origins. You can give members of your group a sort of AI with instructions to heal other members, use only melee or only range combat, ...
This gives you a way of creating a mixed team that suits your prefered gameplay.

Does 'open ended' mean there are no missions and no objectives in game.

Return to “Strategy Gamer Front Page Discussion”