Celebrate Digital Freedom with the Humble DRM-Free Sale03 Jul 2019 0
While it’s not a ‘hot-topic’ as it used to be, the issue of DRM is quite central to digital videogames. Steam, for all its mainstream appeal, is a form of DRM and god help us should Valve decide to implode overnight. I must have around 300 games that I’ll lose access too.
Still, being ‘DRM-free’ is a buzz-word that still carries some weight amongst gamers, and companies like GOG.com founded their business on the principle of offering games with no gate-keeping and for the next five days at least Humble is also flying the flag of (DRM)Freedom.
The Humble DRM-Freedom Sale has a large ranged of games that offer DRM-free downloads, with some games being discounted by up to 96%! There’s a wide range of genres on offer here, but here are some strategy gems you might want to consider picking up:
- Banished – which has some excellent mods.
- Intro the Breach – an excellent tactical puzzle game.
- Stronghold Crusader – a classic for a steal at 80% off.
- Jon Shafer’s At the Gates – first time we’ve seen this flawed but ambitious historical 4X game this cheap.
- Earth 2150 Trilogy – This is a fascinating RTS where you did the usual C&C like skirmishes but also had to balance the long-term need to escape the planet before it becomes inhospitable.
- Xenonauts – This X-Com inspired hardcore strategy game about fighting off an alien invasion is going very cheap, although fair warning Xenonauts 2 is due out later this year.
- Tharsis – this board game inspired turn-based strategy game about surviving in a bleak situation is half price.
As far as we can tell, even though a lot of these games come with a Steam key anyway, they also should come with an additional Steam and DRM-free download for Windows (and some for Mac too).
Strategy Gamer is a Humble Affiliate.