Imperator Rome 1.1 ‘Pompey’ Patch Out Now27 Jun 2019 0
The 1.1 'Pompey' Patch for Imperator: Rome is live now. Doesn't look like anything since we first report it had entered beta (original story below), so there's nothing new to catch you up on. Remember, this isn't compatible with pre-1.1 saves so either prepare to start again, or access the '1.0.3 - Old Version' branch on GOG and Steam to keep playing.
There are still a couple of known issues - for example the 'DLC' tab is now missing from the launcher, and the anyone not playing the Steam version won't be able to earn achievements. They're still investigating why. In the meantime, enjoy this recap video and the official highlights, and let us know how you get on with the game post-Pompey:
- Dual Rulers: The historic second consuls of Rome and suffetes of Carthage are now represented in these republics, and a monarch’s spouse contributes to the rule of the kingdom.
- Heritage: Nations now have traditional profiles that reflect their historic strengths, adding more differentiation between nations.
- Naval Combat: More types of ships and new tactical options for combat, similar to those available on land.
- Naval Range: Ships can travel a limited distance from a friendly port before suffering attrition. This attrition can be reduced by inventions.
- Pirates: Pirates now operate from a pirate haven in a specific province. Clearing out this base will reduce pirate activity for a while. Also, pirates may now be hired as mercenaries.
- Release Subjects: Reduce unrest by ceding limited independence to provinces that do not like your rule.
- Province Improvements: Cities can build special projects that come with major permanent bonuses, crafting a major metropolis for your realm.
- Stability Rework: Stability is now a 100 point scale (base of 50) with corresponding bonuses and penalties along the range.
- New Government Interactions: Give a specific family greater power, call a War Council in times of emergency
- Navigable Rivers: Fleets can now sail the great rivers of the region (Nile, Tigris and Euphrates) opening up new military strategies.
- New Commander Traits: Admirals and generals earn new traits while leading forces.
- Move Capital: Relocate your national center of power or provincial capitals.
- New Events: New event chains, including flavor events for Rome, Italy and Carthage. New events related to military commanders and slavery.
Original Story: So at the time of writing, Imperator: Rome’s Steam overall rating is now at 37%. The most recent batch of 500 or so reviews sits at 27%. Now would probably be a good time for a major patch to drop, and what do you know, it has! (ish)
The dev team tweeted earlier today that the 1.1 ‘Pompey’ Patch is now available in beta on both Steam and GOG. Paradox will need to do some final testing and with players before doing a general release. This also serves as your final call for finishing up any saves you currently have going – older games won’t be compatible with the 1.1 patch.
The patch notes are pretty extensive, reflective just how much of the game Paradox has tried to uplift with this first update. Seriously, you’ll want to check this bad-boy out because there’s a lot going on. While we suspect it won’t address all of the fundamental issues we had with the game at launch, it’s certainly a step in the right direction, and enough to warrant some more playthroughs, I feel.
Let us know how you get on if you try it out for yourself, otherwise we’ll update our coverage when it goes live.