Strategy Games News Bulletin - August 21st 202021 Aug 2020 1
Despite being nearly consumed by an internal work project that involved a lot of interviews and discussions, we've had a great week on the site in terms of content. Renata smashed it out of the park again with her feature looking into how great Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was, and we finally managed to get our preview of Humankind's recent OpenDev run out the door as well. Not to mention we had four reviews go up!
With the amount of articles we've had from other writers, it's left plenty of news and other tid-bits to catch up on. Next week will be more news led, although Renata's working on another HoMM piece that's looking at the whole series. We've also got a few more reviews to catch-up on ahead of the September madness.
Meanwhile, in the world of strategy games...
Phoenix Point’s second DLC due this month (maybe)
Phoenix Point is due to receive another piece of DLC sometime before the end of August. It’s titled ‘Legacy of the Ancients’ and features new content themed around an ancient human civilization who faced their own mutant threat. It will contain new units, new mission types, new research, new maps, new weapons and armor, and a brutal challenge.
It’ll cost $10/£7.99, and is the second of five initially planned DLCs. Current rumours suggest it will release before August 31st, but the forums are not optimistic about that timeline, it seems.
A Total War Saga: Troy Was Downloaded over 7 million times
We picked up this story from GamesIndustry.biz at the start of the week, but it looks like despite a somewhat ‘mixed’ reception a hell of a lot of people grabbed Total War Saga: Troy on its first day. Thanks to a promotion with Epic Games where the game was free to download and keep for the first 24 hours from launch, 7.5 million people downloaded it.
We published our own review of Total War Saga: Troy the other week - in short it was a very smart adaptation of ancient Greece, but it wasn’t always as fun as it could be. You should check it out.
Paradox ‘Back to School’ Sale
Paradox are having a ‘Back to School’ Sale on their own operated webstore, which will last until August 28th next week. There are a lot of deals ranging from between 25 - 50%, with the odd higher deal going for specific titles, especially the older ones. You can check out the sale here.
Strategy Gamer is affiliated with the Paradox Store.
Battle for Middle-Earth: Reforged gets new trailer
You remember Renata’s excellent feature looking into why The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth 2 was an excellent RTS. Many agreed, although there was plenty of support for the first game as well. For a while we’ve been aware of an official fan-project called Battle for Middle-Earth: Reforged, which aims to try and remake the original game in a new modern engine. It’s just got its first official gameplay trailer, which you can watch here:
Necromunda: Underhive Wars Overview Trailer
You know I’d almost forgotten this was coming out, but we’re just over two weeks away from this digital adaptation of Games Workshop’s gang-based 40K spin-off game, and it released a new overview trailer this week to introduce us to the key concepts.
Underhive Wars is going to feature squad-based tactical combat, with high customisable units and progression as you fight for control over Necromunda’s criminal underworld. We’re hoping to have a review ready for launch day, so stay tuned.
Desperados III new content update
We finally got our Desperados 3 review up at the start of the month, and since then the game has recently received a second free content update. Patch 1.3 brings four new Baron’s challenges:
- Three Men with No Name: Where is Waldo? Identify three specific guards among the crowd of supposed doppelgangers on the map – and kill them!
- Bear Trap Triplets: We all know how much Hector loves his little Bianca. One can only imagine what he could do with three of them... why not put it to a test?
- Best Served Cold: Some poor guy didn't know who the Baron was and cheated him. The Baron wants him found in a crowded market place and brought to the docks – dead or alive.
- Rescue Aid Society: Alas! Doc McCoy is being held prisoner in the Bayous. Isabelle's cat Stella, a dog, and a chicken have formed a special animal commando to rescue the Doc.
There’s also plenty of other tweaks and changes as well, which you can read in the full patch-notes.
And the rest…
- Stronghold: Warlords' release date has been delayed to January 26th, 2021.
- Tactical Troops: Anthracite Shift has also been delayed, although we don’t have a concrete release date yet. At least three months is the estimate.
- Battle Brother’s Blazing Deserts DLC slipped by us and released last week. We’re going to get a review done ASAP.
- Baldur’s Gate 3 is aiming for an Early Access release date of September 30th.
- The developers of Starborne have started doing proper dev diaries to track how the beta is going. The first one covers the development of their ‘short’ game mode, titled ‘Dead Zone’.