August 7th, 2018: Meanwhile, in strategy games...07 Aug 2018 0
It’s a little bit ridiculous how much strategy gaming news has dropped over the past week. Probably should have kept on top of it a bit more, but I wanted to make sure we had stuff to talk about for our new weekly news round-up. I shouldn’t have worried!
Meanwhile, in strategy games…
Battle Brothers DLC
I could have sworn Overhype announced last year that they were ‘done’ with creating new content for Battle Brothers. Maybe it’s suddenly started selling well for them – the studio announced last week that they are working on a new full-sized expansion for the depressing medieval tactical RPG.
Beasts & Exploration is a bit of an obvious name as far as design intent goes, but the studio has provided a list of the major features they hope to provide:
- A variety of challenging new beasts populating different parts of the wilds. Each with unique mechanics and loot.
- A bigger world to explore, full of unique hidden locations throughout that offer new possibilities and rewards to the daring adventurer.
- Trophies from slain beasts that can be crafted into charms, potions and other items to customize the look of your hardened mercenaries and benefit them in combat.
- New contracts that have you engage in profitable beast hunting, exploration and more.
- New weapons, tools, shields, and armour to equip your men with.
- New paint items that can be used to paint shields and helmets in the colours of your company.
- Lots of new events.
- New music tracks.
The expansion itself will be free, but it will release alongside a sizeable free patch. The patch will mainly be improvements and fixes, but it’ll have some content.
Surviving Mars Updated
Surviving Mars has just received another free update. The ‘Da Vinci’ patch adds a Creative Mode that lets players enjoy the creative side of colony building without having to worry about all that serious stuff like money or resource. Even the Colonists are super-charged!
Other changes include UI tweaks, changes to how depots and storage functions, and plenty of quality of life improvements and balance changes. You can read the full patch notes here.
A further update name ‘Sagan’ will be adding content on the other end of the spectrum, with new challenges and harder parameters. You thought colonising Mars was easy? You thought wrong. There’s no word yet on when the Sagan update will be released.
Frostpunk Version 1.1.2
This is more “free DLC” than a standard patch, but the ‘People and Automatons’ update for Frostpunk has been released. The headline features include naming characters and automatons – including the ability to search for them by name, updated visuals and a bunch more fixes and optimizations.
You can read more about the changes in full here. On the same blogpost, the developers talk a bit more about their content plan for the rest of 2018. Next up is a brand new story scenario, called ‘The Builders’, a new ‘Endurance’ mode along with further updates.
Hey, remember when Peter Molyneux release Godus? Oh yeah that’s right, he didn’t. Well if you’re still jonesing for a ‘God Game’ fix, then you’ll be pleased to know the creators of Renowned Explorers and Reus have you covered.
Godhood is a new God game due out on PC in 2019 from Dutch studio Abbey Games. It’s still early days at this point, but here is some of the proposed features:
- Create a religion. Players define what is important for their followers, selecting virtues and vices, and guiding them in how they must live and what rituals they should undertake. A few will rise to become powerful prophets who can help train future generations.
- Nurture and guide followers. Control of a player’s disciples can only be enacted from afar, but guiding the followers, deciding what rituals to enact or which monument to build, managing abilities and powers, will all be key to a prosperous society.
- Ritual Combat. Other deities and religions vie for power and influence, and players need to face rival gods and their followers in ritual combat. Known as ‘Sacraments’, player’s followers will need to prove their worth through the use of awe, persuasion or brute force.
- Colourful art style. Charming visuals with bright, hand-drawn-like qualities depict the new and unknown world of Godhood in a lush, isometric perspective.
- Replayability. Powered by a deep simulation system, Godhood allows players to experiment with dozens of different religious combinations unlocking new secrets as they progress along a main story line filled with battles, rituals and challenging side quests.
Phoenix Point Backer Build 3
Julian Gollop has released a new video detailing some features of Phoenix Point’s third backer build. Alex was very impressed by the second backer build, and this third one sounds very exciting. The only downside is that it’s been delayed till November. Click here for the full roadmap.
Thrones of Britannia
Creative Assembly’s ‘Total War Saga’ experiment Thrones of Britannia is currently running beta tests for its upcoming Allegiance update. That update is now in its second phase, and you can read the new change-log here.
There’s a lot to sift through, so we’re not able to summarise it for you. Doesn’t look like they’ve left any stone unturned, though.
Phew! That's all for this week's new round-up. See you next time!