Zebracadabra

PT dying.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:14 pm

This site is dying. Apparently near totally abandoned at this point.

I'd like to make a suggestion that we can meet up on Slack. From there, individual threads can be created and even tourney dome threads. I'm not starting anything myself, just offering an idea.

biffpow

Re: PT dying.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:29 pm

This site is dying. Apparently near totally abandoned at this point.

I'd like to make a suggestion that we can meet up on Slack. From there, individual threads can be created and even tourney dome threads. I'm not starting anything myself, just offering an idea.
Great suggestion! I've never used it before--anyone have familiarity with this?

Alternately, we could create a reddit thread--"Pocket Tactics" is not being used. Do people here use reddit? I'm the same username there as here.

And I don't think the site is abandoned exactly, but it's in trouble at the moment. Apparently, Dave posted a "farewell" letter to the site this weekend which was rapidly taken down. This may mean a) that he reconsidered, or b) that The Powers That Be (TPTB) yanked the posting so as not to cause alarm among users and advertisers.

I suspect it is B, sadly. And the fact that TPTB haven't posted anything since is rather emblematic of the ills that have befallen PT. One of PT's greatest attributes was how transparent it has always been with its readers.

But I'm straying into a rant here..... :roll:

Zebracadabra

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Not familiar with Reddit although my kid has sent me there a few times. Slack may be friendlier and the app has been updated several times recently. A bunch of the QT3 guys are using it and we even have a thread devoted to playing Codenames with about 15 playing.

geigerm

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:43 pm

I suspect it is B, sadly. And the fact that TPTB haven't posted anything since is rather emblematic of the ills that have befallen PT. One of PT's greatest attributes was how transparent it has always been with its readers.

But I'm straying into a rant here..... :roll:
Have "The Powers That Be" ever really said much of anything about this site? There may have been a couple of posts from Slitherine folks on the old forums, but they've been almost entirely silent. They clearly don't have much of anything invested in the site, from what I can tell.

And while I miss the good old days under Owen's leadership, it sounds like he left the staff in the lurch, claiming he'd still have a hand in things as an editor after the sale (unless I've misread or don't quite remember other posts), only to disappear entirely.

This site really was great, and I had hopes it'd recover, with the flurry of activity around the time of Pathfinder Adventures' release seeming to be a good sign. Now we're stuck in a content-free, editor-free wasteland, and it's truly sad.

ImInnocent

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:13 pm

Slitherine is treating this site like they did the poor saps that did the Kickstarter for Shenodoah Studios. The whole Gettysburg: The Tide Turns digital and board game ripoff by Eric Smith who never finished the product and SLitherine bought out saying they would finish and never did.

Zebracadabra

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

The QT3 threads have 59 participants. I've asked Dave Perkins (ananabtilps) how PTers can proceed to join them. Might be the best bet for now.

The last few months on PT have been painful. Gotta admit, Duke called it long ago.

Zebracadabra

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:34 pm

If anyone is interested in joining, please email me amn624 at gmail dot com. I'll compile a list of email addresses and send them on to Dave Perkins ASAP. Fair warning, I'll be out of town until Monday, so it'll be slow for a bit.

Sjeng

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Sad days.

Did anybody try to contact Dave?
His emailadress is in the contact page on this site.
Or a pm on boardgame geek? I believe he is David Neumann (Neumannium) around there.
I would really like to hear a word from him. Even if it is a goodbye or even better an "Auf Wiedersehen"

QT3 sounds like a good alternative.
Would be a shame to lose contact/not play anymore with you PT-ers.

Zebracadabra

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:53 pm

QT3 is not PT, so please don't expect the same. But it works. The Star Realms thread is now 155 pages long and they've just finished Season 29. It's also on Slack.

biffpow

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Thanks for the Qt3 offer, Zeb--I'm sending over my info next. The forums look like a very clean and stable platform.

At the very least, it would be nice to know there's a way for the community here to remain somewhat intact, whatever the future may hold for PT.

It's especially interesting that Dave would depart now--there was just recently a call for new writers and content-wise, the site was really branching off in some intriguing directions.

Return to “Announcements”