Mysterio

Re: PT dying.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:45 pm

is it cross-platform? so that iOS and Android can meet there?
It is on Windows and iOS, so I assume it would be on all other platforms.

robthomasson

Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:49 pm

is it cross-platform? so that iOS and Android can meet there?
It is on Windows and iOS, so I assume it would be on all other platforms.
It is available on Android from Google Play.

JammaTal

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:25 am

that's good news on Slack.

but i wish PT could rise to old strength again.
i would prefer to beat the sh*# out of the Qt3 guys in StarRealms (again) or in DiscDrivin' or any other competition over taking refuge with them ;)

largevisiblemachine

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:38 am

Pocket Tactics Slack +1

Zebracadabra

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:05 pm

Pocket Tactics Slack +1
The problem is there is already a gaming community on Slack and that the PT audience has for the most part, dispersed over the past several months as postings came less regularly.

I too share JammaTal's hope but realistically, this site is never going to regain its former lustre. Owen added so much! Owen added *that* much! From the day he left, this was a different place.

Although Dave and Kelsey and a few others still wrote, the driving force was gone. Clearly, the forums suffered and tournaments became rare events. Expecting it all to come back at this time seems a remote possibility. Slitherine, or whoever else was in charge, did nothing to enhance the situation. The day Duke left, I knew he was right and I've stayed on only because that's the kind of guy I am - I don't take bad news well. I tend to disbelieve until there is zero choice. Were not quite there....yet.

rinelk

Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:37 pm

Clearly, the forums suffered and tournaments became rare events.
Tournaments are one of the things I'd like to get going again more, especially once a few Twilight Struggle kinks get worked out. My plan was to pitch to our new editor that we should make a push to headline some tournaments and try to get PTers to add one another on Game Center before the ability to having gaming-specific contacts goes away in September. I'm sure it'll all still be manageable through Contacts, but I know some people like keeping things separated. But I think you're right that tournaments are a big driver of engagement, and content that's frequent and fun to read tends to drive forum participation and tournaments.

My writing has never quite had the verve Owen's did, and while I've been delighted with some of the stuff turned in by fellow writers (not terribly surprising in one instance, since I've been following Matt Thrower's writing on Fortress Ameritrash for some time), and quite liked Dave's self-effacing style of humor, I can certainly understand missing our founder. He had a way of making me feel awesome for being wise enough to read him which I don't think I've ever seen duplicated.

So, I think you're right that PT is unlikely to regain its former lustre--Owen is basically irreplaceable, and you can never step into the same river twice. But it might develop a new lustre. I'm not going to succeed at that on my own, but I hope to keep people willing to check back once our new editor is up and running, and we have a bit more of a support structure in place. The new PT might be very cool.

biffpow

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:22 pm

My writing has never quite had the verve Owen's did, and while I've been delighted with some of the stuff turned in by fellow writers (not terribly surprising in one instance, since I've been following Matt Thrower's writing on Fortress Ameritrash for some time), and quite liked Dave's self-effacing style of humor, I can certainly understand missing our founder. He had a way of making me feel awesome for being wise enough to read him which I don't think I've ever seen duplicated.

So, I think you're right that PT is unlikely to regain its former lustre--Owen is basically irreplaceable, and you can never step into the same river twice. But it might develop a new lustre. I'm not going to succeed at that on my own, but I hope to keep people willing to check back once our new editor is up and running, and we have a bit more of a support structure in place. The new PT might be very cool.
Your description of Owen's writing is spot-on. And when he left, it did refocus the feeling of PT. The (horrible) redesign did not help matters. It made the site feel foreign at a time when we were already trying to adjust to the new feel in the content. It was a bad choice by Slitherine that was driven by making it easier on their side to run and sell ads, with no thought to what was happening within PT's readership. We can't blame any of the writers for how that made us feel.

In fact, despite that shift, I believe the writing has improved consistently over the last year or more. Matt Thrower's work has a really engaging voice and personality and is always interesting to read, no matter the topic. Tof has a distinct humor and perspective that brings a much-welcome dimension not just to the site, but to writing about gaming overall. And Kelsey, you've been pushing the boundaries on what this site (and perhaps gaming journalism) is capable of as far as content, and I think it's been a hugely positive thing. The quality and volume of comments on articles like "Cards Aren't Cards" is clear evidence not only of the kind of deeper discussion that PT's readers are eager to engage in, but also the terrifically strong quality of the writing that you're producing. We would not see writing like that on Touch Arcade, for example.*

So while I am admittedly trepidatious about yet another editorial change here, and I have very little confidence in Slitherine to make decisions that will show appreciation and respect for PT's readership, I have a lot of confidence in the writers here and a genuine eagerness to see where they will go with their work (assuming they continue to have the kind of free range that Dave gave them).

I'm the first to point out that bad decisions have been made about the site, and there are bad things related to the site, but I also believe it's not (yet?) a "bad" site. As Kelsey wrote, the new PT might be very cool. I'm pretty certain that's what we all hope.

*Apologies to the other fine PT writers I've left out. You know who you are.

Emos

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:32 am

Hey there! Just sent my info to join Slack and I think I'll be heading over to the QT3 forums to see if I can find some familiar faces over there. I used to participate regularly in their monthly Ascension tourneys, I think I'll try to get back into it if they'll have me.

Sorry to see that one of my favorite sites is, let's face it, dying in the matter that it is. I know that Dave and now Kelsey is doing the best they can with the limited tools that the new powers that be are providing but I think I see the ship finally slipping under the ocean :(

rinelk

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Hey there! Just sent my info to join Slack and I think I'll be heading over to the QT3 forums to see if I can find some familiar faces over there. I used to participate regularly in their monthly Ascension tourneys, I think I'll try to get back into it if they'll have me.

Sorry to see that one of my favorite sites is, let's face it, dying in the matter that it is. I know that Dave and now Kelsey is doing the best they can with the limited tools that the new powers that be are providing but I think I see the ship finally slipping under the ocean :(
Well, the new powers that be haven't started yet--I'm doing the best I can* with the limited tools available without them. Might be worth checking back in a couple weeks.

* I'm not. I could be doing better, I'd just need to prepare a bit more than I have. As a stay-at-home parent, I hear about doing your best often enough that I've finally started thinking about how rarely it's true. I appreciate the sentiment, though.

Zebracadabra

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:56 am

Well, the new powers that be haven't started yet--I'm doing the best I can* with the limited tools available without them. Might be worth checking back in a couple weeks.

* I'm not. I could be doing better, I'd just need to prepare a bit more than I have. As a stay-at-home parent, I hear about doing your best often enough that I've finally started thinking about how rarely it's true. I appreciate the sentiment, though.
No, seriously, I think any of us still on the site really, really do appreciate whatever is still being posted by Editors/Staff.

I would hate to see it all end but unfortunately, the path seems clear and has for a long time. The masters, be they Slithermine or invisible managers with no name, did a horrible job of preserving all that PocketTactics offered us. Not even able to thumbs up posts, etc., took a lot away.

You *are* doing the best you can. Thank you for that.
Last edited by Zebracadabra on Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Announcements”