EICJoe

Letter from the Editor – August 1st 2016

Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:38 pm

Nearly a month already! Seems like only yesterday it was my first day and I made the best first impression ever.

I feel communication is important, so you guys can get used to how I think and how I plan to operate things here, and so I can tell you some of the thoughts or plans I had and invite feedback. I'm not sure if these 'Letters' are going to be monthly, but I will try and keep you guys updated on a regular basis.

What's happened this month?

Content: First off, after June's spotty record, it was important to me that we had stuff going up every day (except Sundays. Sleep on Sundays). Apart from one Saturday on wargamer and one Monday on PT, we managed that. I'd like to think it was mainly stuff you were used to seeing, but every now and then – mainly through news, I'd throw in something a little bit different. Hopefully you guys like the work we've been doing.

Disclosures: It was important I got this settled from week one. All content associated with a Slitherine Group company will have a disclaimer, pointing people to the relevant information. Unfortunately, my full idea with regards to reviews is a little bit harder to implement than I thought, and requires some dev work. Since we don't have a full-time website guy, it means it has to be put in a pile of things that need doing all in one-go. Value for money and all that.

Forum Features: In a similar vein, these apparently aren't simple to implement. I don't know how Owen did it in the old forums, but we need to get our forum guy to look at this properly before we start tinkering. Unfortunately, he's the 'guy' for the entire group, so as you can imagine he's kept busy a lot. I'll keep you posted on this one.

Writers: I've always felt it's important for people to know who their writers are. Part of the community spirit is us making sure we're always around talking to you guys, answering any questions you have, and basically hanging out. There's been a few departures, and a few new faces. To avoid confusion, the official 'Staff List' as of August 1st, 2016 is:

Pocket Tactics
Tof Eklund
Sean Couture
Mark Robinson

Wargamer
James Cobb
Jeff Renaud
Bill Gray

Other
Matt Thrower (Freelance)
Alex Connolly (On Break)
Fraser Brown (Freelance)
Me (Irregularly)
+ Guest Posters, like Prinny

There might be a few names missing that you expected to see. Feel free to email or message me with any questions or concerns you have. I'll try and keep the staff pages up-to-date.

Where do we go from here?

Now that I've started to get settled in, It's time to look forwards. Some things you're going to start seeing in the not-to-distant future:

Content

Preserving the soul of these websites is important, but I also feel there's room for growth along lines that make sense, given where these websites started. Specifically:

Wargamer: You might have noticed we've started doing more table-top content, which is something I want to continue. In general, I want to explore the concept of the 'Wargame' and talk about a variety of different things, but I'm keen not to lose the digital wargame voice as well. I think things like ARMA represent an interesting new angle for features, for example, and of course we've got all of Slitherine et al's output to cover.

Might not be able to do a lot of in depth product coverage on the tabletop side straight away – that's an issue of time and manpower (as well as getting hold of products), but I have some fun ideas I want to try.

Pocket Tactics: Aside from the usual, I'm specifically interested in looking at the emerging CCG market on mobile, as well as mobile eSports. PT is a place of 'expertise' and discussion and I'd like to eventually offer or create a home for people who play those games here, and offer analysis on evolving metas, etc... I will probably avoid Hearthstone generally, since I don't think we can offer anything new there, but starting at the ground-floor with some upcoming titles could be interesting. I'm not ruling HS out completely either as I know a few of the writers play it.

I really enjoyed commissioning and reading Private Prinny's Leviathan piece – it's proof-of-concept of the type of content I want to try and curate. Thing's like Kelsey's Twilight Struggles piece is also fun and interesting, but all of this is people-led, as it's the people who possess all these hours of accumulated knowledge and have genuinely interesting things to say. It will take time to gather said people.

Misc: While we're not a news-centric site like Pocket Gamer, for example, I will be experimenting with news and articles in general in terms of topics, formats etc... so don't be alarmed if you see coverage on something completely new and different. I'm seeing what sticks.

Maybe you're interested in some of the things I've just talked about, maybe you're not. The only thing I can say is that I do need to attract new audiences somehow, but you need to trust that I won't let the content you know and love slip. If you feel I'm not holding to that, feel free to email me.

Community

Not much to say here, as you can't really 'manufacture' a community. It kind of just happens, or it doesn't. I do want to give you the features you requested though, and perhaps add in more toys to make hanging-out on the forums more enjoyable. Maybe even a real-time chat client? We have a feedback & requests area, so make sure you use it if you have an idea.

Beyond that, making sure the tournaments are supported, and giving you guys more chances to win stuff seem like things we can easily invest in. Rob's doing a great job of shepherding the tournament threads, and I'm willing to help where I can. If you tournament folk have any ideas you think would specifically help, let me know.

Behind-the-Scenes

Part of my job is making sure I can give Tof, James et al fair compensation for all their hard-work and keep the lights on. Advertising, affiliate partnerships... these are all things that I'll be working on in the background. I will be looking into alternative revenue streams eventually, but I will talk more about that when I actually have something to talk about.

If you want to help out here, there are two specific things you can do:
  1. Turn off Ad-Block, or at least 'White List' Pocket Tactics & Wargamer.
  2. If we're talking about a game you were thinking of buying anyway, and we've provided a link to it, please consider clicking that link to go the store, instead of going separately.
Ultimately this is all about choice. You don't have to engage with our affiliate programs (and we're only affiliated with Apple currently – Google, Steam etc... does nothing), and I would never ask you to do something you weren't considering doing anyway. If we inspire you to buy something, then it helps us if you buy it through the links we provide, but it's 100% your choice.

----------------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions about any of the above, or any thoughts you'd like to share, feel free to post here or send me an email – joer [at] wargamer [dot] com

Here's to the next few months!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

tofeklund

Re: Letter from the Editor – August 1st 2016

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:24 pm

Hello, everyone. I've been reading Pocket Tactics for years, I've just never been active in the forums. I generally only lurk in forums, though I couldn't tell you why. I'm working on engaging more.

Since I'm handling the new release posts (at least for now), I'd like to hear more about what you folks want to see in those posts. Premium turn-based strategy titles and credible RTS games are a given, but what else?

Do you want to see (or not want to see):
* Interactive Ficion, Gamebooks, and/or Adventure Games?
* Puzzle Games? What kinds? Last week I included Road Not Taken but left out Snakebird and Blyss...
* RPGs? Roguelikes, JRPGs, ARPGs, Action Games with RPG elements?
* CCGs? Only ones with straightforward Hearthstone-like monetization?
* MOBAs? MMORPGS? FPSes? Quirky indie games? Zen/relaxing games? MMOFPSSSCLDGs (Massively Multiplauer Online First-Person Shooting, Strafing, and Sliding Celebrity Line-Dancing Games)?

For that matter, are you interested in:
* Android ports?
* Accessible games (for people with reduced or no vision, colorblindness, epilepsy, the hard-of-hearing and deaf, etc.)?
* Diverse games?
* FTP games that feature interesting mechanics or (fill in the blank)?
* Games with (fill in the blank) themes or content, regardless of genre? (Examples: Warhammer, Historical, Lego)

Private Prinny

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for the update - generally all this behind-the-scenes stuff is massively underappreciated (and underastimated) by the users.

Keep them coming.

Regarding Tof's questions:
I am sure open to spotlights of outstanding behind&bejond stuff (espically TBS (j)rpgs and SRPGs as well as the odd Roguelike) but only if you feel comfortable of not spreading yourself to thin. It doesn't help trying to imitate for example toucharcade ["Lightningstike from the heavens".jpg goes here] broad approach to each and all but stay focused.
So I am comfortably with 10-15% stuff way beyond PT and WG scope but try not to dilute yourself. I like the site because of that focus. Focused specialization and a small helping of random & popular other stuff.

biffpow

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:20 pm

So I am comfortably with 10-15% stuff way beyond PT and WG scope but try not to dilute yourself. I like the site because of that focus. Focused specialization and a small helping of random & popular other stuff.
I agree with Old Man Prinny--the focus of the site is one of its greatest appeals to me as well. Periodic posts that branch off in unexpected ways are often great, but fulfilling PT's core focus is the key. Stay resolute, don't dilute!*

Toff, you are crushing it with the writing, as far as I'm concerned. I'm inclined to trust you to curate the new releases towards what you're excited to write about and show people. I might enjoy seeing a little more coverage of CCGs as well as IF and game books in your release lists, and rpgs can sometimes be appropriate. FTP seems so likely to disappoint, I don't know if it's worth it. There's a newish Final Fantasy mobile game out, for example, but it's FTP. It is tactical, so would seem right for PT, but I don't know how playable it is without breaking the bank. Personally, if I never heard anything about massively multiplayer anything ever again, I'd be thrilled.

*Free slogan I just made up. Genius-level stuff happening here, I know.

whovian223

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:11 pm

I love the changes you're making, and am really happy to support the site.

I whitelisted Pocket Tactics on my Adblocker, and the first ad I'm seeing is for Victoria Brides with Anna from the Ukraine asking for a real man?

I realize that this is probably a Google ad that you have no control over, but this is the very reason that I typically use an ad-blocker in the first place. I don't really want to see these.

See an ad for a game I might want? Awesome. Even some other basic product, sure. Whatever.

But I don't really want to see ads like that.

At least it's not x-rated, but sheesh.

EICJoe

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:31 am

I whitelisted Pocket Tactics on my Adblocker, and the first ad I'm seeing is for Victoria Brides with Anna from the Ukraine asking for a real man?

I realize that this is probably a Google ad that you have no control over, but this is the very reason that I typically use an ad-blocker in the first place. I don't really want to see these.

See an ad for a game I might want? Awesome. Even some other basic product, sure. Whatever.

Strange - where are you based Whovian? All I see is the same advert for the same F2P game - "Liberators". I will see if there's something we can do about that ad, but yeah it's tricky with filler - things keep slipping through. The more targeted deals we have though, the less you will see of the filler, hopefully.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

halfvoid

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:56 am

I see a "BAD CODE = BAD SOFTWARE, something something Collaborator" ad here in the UK.

The Fox

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:56 am

I'm getting these ads on the homepage (in Belgium) : Liberators - Matrix/Slitherine boardgames promo - World of Warships.

The homepage for Pocket Tactics has one ad for a local electronics webshop.

whovian223

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Strange - where are you based Whovian? All I see is the same advert for the same F2P game - "Liberators". I will see if there's something we can do about that ad, but yeah it's tricky with filler - things keep slipping through. The more targeted deals we have though, the less you will see of the filler, hopefully.
I'm in British Columbia, and the name is "Victoria Brides" or something like that (the capital of BC, though the ads were for Ukrainian women).

Anyway, today it's an Adobe ad and Bellroy (to help you slim your wallet), so it doesn't matter as much.

Edit: Incidentally, since you locked the giveaway thread, I'll ask here.

Are you waiting until all have accepted their prize before sending the codes out?

Thankfully, my name hasn't disappeared from the first post, but since I know people were reporting problems with Direct Messages, I just wanted to make sure you got mine.

I'm assuming that since my name is still there, you did, but just making sure. :)

Return to “Announcements”