tofeklund

Out Now Adding Capsule Reviews

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:57 am

I'm pleased to announce that, starting this Friday, my "Out Now" feature will include capsule reviews of all, or at least most, of the games included therein.

I've wanted to do this for some time for for a number of reasons, and my recent acquisition of an iPad Air 2, along with some scheduke re-jiggering, has finally made it possible. This does mean that you won't be seeing as many full reviews from me, but I think the trade-off is worth it.

We're not planning on reducing the number of full reviews we do: after all, given the timeframe, all I can do is give you my first impression. My goal is to give you an idea of whether you want to look closer at games that *might* be your thing.

If anything, I'm going to be focussing more tightly on core PT games: strategy first, but also promising sim, adventure, puzzle, and board games (which are mostly strategy anyway).

The references to 90s pop culture, dead poets, and overused memes will continue until morale improves (nudge-nudge wink-wink).

That only leaves one question: is the title "Out Now" sufficient to describe the new hotness? I dunno, you got anything better? "Encapsulated?" "Pocket Protector?" "Mystery Strategy Theatre?"

Js619

Re: Out Now Adding Capsule Reviews

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:18 pm

I like "Out Now" for the nostalgia factor... and I have no other decent ideas, so there's that.

largevisiblemachine

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:29 am

I get that these a first looks and not proper review but it would be cool with some sort of rating system to get a better overview. Maybe something basic like a stop sign scale, avoid/maybe/definitely.

EICJoe

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:57 am

I get that these a first looks and not proper review but it would be cool with some sort of rating system to get a better overview. Maybe something basic like a stop sign scale, avoid/maybe/definitely.
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that as an editorial policy, but it's something I can talk over with Tof. Perhaps indicating if we are going to do a full-review on it, or not bother if it has a bad first impression?
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

tgl

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:24 am

... Perhaps indicating if we are going to do a full-review on it, or not bother if it has a bad first impression?
It would definitely be nice to know whether or not you are planning a full review.

biffpow

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:37 pm

Great news, Tof! I look forward to the new Out Now format. I like Out Now as a title, though if you really feel bent on changing it, here are a few ideas:

--Pocket Capsules
--Time-Release Tactics
--PT's Weekly Dose
--The Week Encapsulated

And I agree with other posters--it would be very helpful to know which titles are lined up to receive full reviews.

blanca12

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:58 am

Thanks for the announcement note and for the friendly, open thread. I second whovian's thoughts on the forums 100%--we all participate a lot here and value that Plex Kodi Lucky Patcher.

Return to “Announcements”