EICJoe

Letter from the Editor – October 27th, 2016

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:16 pm

Hello everyone - quite a few things to talk about this month, so let's take it from the top!

Updated Review Policy (Pocket Tactics)

So many of you probably saw Nick's Mini Metro review from the other day, where-by he stated that one of the reasons it got a 4 was to do with price. You guys gave a lot of feedback on that and we definitely took note.

The most important point to get across first and foremost is that Nick was well within his rights to make the judgement he did. You may not agree with it, but value judgements are part of his review style, his voice and I wouldn't want to change that.

That being said, on reflection I'm not especially comfortable with value judgements directly impacting the score. With the rapid fluctuation of prices (especially in mobile), scoring something based on price can make that score lose an element of permanency very quickly.

An irrelevant score means the reviews themselves lose some integrity, and the value for you guys is then less.

After discussing the issue with Nick & Tof, here is an amendment to the review policy: value judgements are no longer going to be factored into the final score calculation. This means:
  1. * Writers are free to continue making judgements on value whenever they feel it is relevant to do so.
  • * Bar exceptional circumstances, judgements on value (positive or negative) will not be factored into the final score calculation. The score a game gets is based on its merits as a game.
  1. * Any judgements regarding value are there to be taken note of, but you can rest assured they won't have influenced the star rating.
  1. * Mini Metro's score will not change. Nick did mention that the price was not the only reason he marked it down.
I hope that clears up the matter for you guys going forward. Please do let me know if you have any additional concerns.

News (Pocket Tactics)

Last month I posted my thoughts and concerns with regards to news on Pocket Tactics, and the problem it currently poses. I know some of you didn't like the idea that I was essentially telling you to go elsewhere to get your updates, but it'd be a bit naïve of me to assume that while our news out-put has been slipping, you've all refrained from getting your news elsewhere.

You'll also have noticed our new weekly article series – News By Numbers. It's one of the main reasons I hired Nick in the first place, and I'm hoping it'll scratch that news itch in a way that's interesting for you guys and one that makes sense for us.

We do lose some immediacy with this, as some of the items could be up to 7 days old, but anything major important I will step in myself and just post up a separate news item on.

News By Numbers and Tof's expanded 'Out Now' articles I hope will provide you guys with excellent start and ends to the week, with the middle populated by reviews and features.

Free-to-Play Titles (Pocket Tactics)

For the moment, we've generally stopped reviewing free-to-play titles as we just weren't finding the quality I was hoping for.

I do believe there are exceptions still, so give it some time and you may see the odd one or two pop up again but for the moment we're steering clear.

Old PT Forums

At of the time of writing, the old PT forums are still online, despite what I said last month. As far as I know though the subscription HAS been cancelled, so they could disappear at any moment. In case you didn't follow my updates after the initial post, we did manage to save a SQL Dump of the forums – so all of the threads etc... have been saved.

Again, AFAIK, user profiles and user uploads haven't been salvaged as they were not part of the dump. There are now three options open to us:
  1. * We find an open-source version of the 'Vanilla' software and install it on our servers, and re-host the forum.
  • * We find some way of getting the SQL dump to work with the PPHB board we're using now, and then create an sub-forum/archive.
  • * One of you guys takes the SQL dump off us and tries to do something with it yourselves.
Currently the status is unknown regarding the first two. We know Vanilla did have a free version of their software at some-point, but I'm not sure if it's still around. Similarly we haven't been able to determine yet how easy it would be to incorporate the SQL dump into PPHB.

If any members of the community do want to try and do something with the SQL dump, please get in touch.

Community Features (All)

As far as we're aware, PPHB hasn't released the update that will allow you to 'Like' posts etc...

As far as embedding YouTube videos goes though, this forum post should be able to help you.

Please do let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see, or If there's anything I can do for you guys regarding forum features/threads etc...

Advertising (All)

We've started our partnership with a third-party advertiser. You should be seeing a larger variety of units and campaigns, along with the background skins.

Something to note here is that our partner doesn't sell Wargamer/Pocket Tactics as individual sites, it sells the demographic of people who visit the site. I cannot guarantee that every campaign will be 100% on message, especially since Pocket Tactics and Wargamer are quite unique audiences.

Ultimately, this partnership is important for the continued growth of the two sites, so all I can ask is that you bear any odd campaigns with good grace. I am giving constant feedback to our partner to help ensure that campaigns are as targeted as possible.

That being said, if you see anything that's inappropriate or offensive, please let me know right away – I WILL get it removed. Similarly, we're only supposed to be getting background skins and banner advertising. If anything else shows up (pop-ups, pop-unders etc...) again let me know.

I take the user experience very seriously.

Also remember you can support us by clicking on our iOS links before buying anything through the App Store!

---------------------------------------------------------

That's all for today. As always if you have any questions, concerns or comments you can PM me here on the forums, or email me on joer [at] wargamer [dot] com
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Js619

Re: Letter from the Editor – October 27th, 2016

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks for the update, Joe, and I appreciate the discussion and clarification on the Mini Metro review.

cnahr

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks for the update. I appreciate the decision to ignore prices in scoring. Weekly news are fine with me, there aren't that many interesting things happening in mobile strategy gaming anyway unfortunately.

biffpow

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:21 am

Thanks, Joe! I've been enjoying Nick and Tof's weekly round-ups quite a bit, and I think they each cover quite a lot : )

acedout

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:17 pm

I love the weekly updates! I'm also really enjoying the more regular updates here on PT. The momentum has notably picked up after a mini dry-spell and your efforts as Editor are shining though Joe.

Well done PT and keep up the great work.

Return to “Announcements”