EICJoe

Letter from the Editor – December 1st, 2016

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Hey guys,

Thought it was time for another one of these as this will probably be my last this year. Not as much to talk about this time around but if there's anything you want to ask me, feel free to comment below!

Game of Year Plans

We're approaching that time of year, and yes our Game of the Year plans will be back in full force, albeit with some revisions. I'll break it down by website for clarification:

Wargamer

The Wargamer doesn't seem to have had any kind of GOTY tradition recently – definitely not last year. I might work on this for 2017 but for this year Wargamer readers can look forward to Op-Eds from Bill, James, Jeff and myself talking about our personal highlights of 2016 wargaming.

These may focus on a single game, or a range of games to do with a cool new trend – it's up to the writer's discretion. There will be no awards and no voting on anything, although if readers really want to have their say feel free to comment below and I'll make sure your voices are heard.

Pocket Tactics

I'll be doing a News post on the website for this next week, and I'll run through a rough framework for what we're doing this year. An important thing to note that only games that have received Pocket Tactics reviews, and were scored 4 or 5, are eligible for nominations (bar exceptions).

You can see a full breakdown of the games we've reviewed this year and their score here. This list updates automatically as we post new content.

Reader's Choice – this will return, and readers will be able to cast their vote for their favourite game of the year, as well as the runner up.

There will also be a 'Wildcard' nomination – this will allow readers to vote for games we either haven't reviewed, or didn't score 4 or more.

Staff Categories – the initial staff categories this year will be: Strategy, Boardgame, Card Game, RPG, Action, Word/Puzzle,Multiplayer & Management/Sim.

We may add in additional categories (like splitting up strategy into different sub-cats), and I may also open up a 'Wildcard' vote for the readers to have their say as well, but these plans will be finalised ASAP.

There will be no Editor's Choice award. Honestly, I don't feel comfortable doing one this year – I probably won't even vote, unless I need to break ties. You guys and the writer's deserve to have your voices heard more.

Advertising

I've been getting sporadic reports of dodgy take-over ads appearing whenever someone tries to access Pocket Tactics on a mobile device. This is NOT part of the plan, so if this happens to you please email me directly.

One thing our partner always asks for is an IP address – please try and get that before you email, otherwise I can't do much to stop it happening again.

Community Life & Misc.

The New Year is always a time for change, and one of the things I want to work on in early 2017 is the community aspect. I worry it's declining somewhat, and would love to know what you guys think. So far I've been focusing a lot on the content side of things, so I hope you guys don't feel like you've been neglected.

More competitions is something I want to do – I need to put more time into sourcing more goodies for you lot, which will happen come January.

The tournament area seems to be the main draw for people, and I don't think there's a lot I can do to help with that. If I'm wrong – let me know, I'd be happy to get involved in some way. Prize support is about the only idea I've had up till now.

I know you guys have requested features as well – some I've managed to sort, some I haven't. Keep sending me those ideas and I'll do the best I can. You can also send me suggestions for the main websites as well if there's something you want to see there

In other news, I'm pretty sure the old PT forums has declared itself independent from everything, as it's still online. I was expecting this to have been taken offline by now but it's still there, so enjoy it while it lasts.

That's all from me - I'll still be around and doing stuff right up till December 31st, but let me officially wish you guys a Happy Holiday & have a great New Year!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Announcements”