Private Prinny

Games as an art medium? Screenshot collections and more...

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Not really "non-gaming-stuff" but I think it is better suited here.

We have a book thread, a music thread, a daily almanac but what about art? Now hold your horses...I may be an idiot but there is too much good stuff out there to put it here. What I would like to propose is posting impressive art but in regards to our hobby. I was never a fan of WW2 strategy games and may never be but one (main?) reason may be that the delicious pixelated hexagons were plastered with ugly rectangular ski-high towers of markers since the early beginning (and still are) which are totally offputting and unappealing to me.

Good things that the genre TBS evolved quite a bit since then ;-P

So screenshots, concept art, etc. from games that are or might be covered elsewhere on this board and 2 main pages are fair game here. Please limit the stuff to a handful per post I could fill pages alone but to prevent over-saturation....

Featuring Homeworld: Desert of Kharak
I always was a fan of Desert landscapes and the highly stylized between-mission cutscenes from Homeworld 1-2. Both in the same package? I am all for it.
One thing the Dune RTS game series did right was the desert setting. and H.DoK did it as well.

Also this following pictures do them hardly justice but the ingame cutscenes are also a work of art above and beyond much other recent releases in the genre in my book:

In motion they are totally awesome. the brutal heat and fierce sandstorm in the last 2 pictures are really carried trough.
They are as much art as rewrad for beating the specific missions.

EICJoe

Re: Games as an art medium? Screenshot collections and more...

Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:22 pm

One of my favourite aspects of videogames, outside of the product itself, is the concept art. Especially for sci-fi based games... seen CA for games over the years that just looked amazing. Better than the games themselves turned out to be. Please do share more! I might chip in if I come across anything I really like.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

OBollocks

One art, please.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:33 pm

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

halfvoid

Hyper Light Drifter

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:55 am

Breathtaking in-game screenshots, oozing style. Add in some ethereal sound design and a moody synth soundtrack and the atmosphere really immerses you. There's only two games I've ever done a second replay just to take screenshots for. This and Fez. Perhaps I'm a sucker for pixel art.

Return to “Non-Gaming Chat”