EICJoe

Re:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:54 am

Sorry, I forgot that PocketTactics have little interest in Android games. I saw this was an iOS review only after I pressed the SUBMIT button.

My frustration was with the fact that all Arnold's games (Card Crawl, Enyo and now Card Thief) have very high hardware requirements, while basically being simple 2D games. The graphics are simply not too fancy for them to run so slow and to eat battery like crazy.

At least on Android. I don't own iOS device - so my comment about Android game in response to iOS review is indeed a bit trollish. I apologize for that.

P.S. I do own the game. I joined Card Thief closed beta testing about a month ago. And I wrote the same concerns as the ones stated above to TinyTouchables forum. With none of them taken into account. So I kinda lost faith in this developer.
There is a bias here towards iOS but it's more to do with the habits of the market than anything else - I myself don't own any iOS devices. That being said, we can't review a game on a platform it doesn't yet exist on, and it wouldn't have made sense to withhold a review of a game until it was out on both platforms.

In addition to that, I can't quite justify the expense of re-reviewing a game on another platform either in a month's time, although now that we're here you've given me a feature Idea I could peruse with my android staff. Some guys like Mark own both platforms so whenever he reviews something I sometimes throw him an Android code instead, but the biggest issue here is that devs hand out iOS codes by habit now, and it's their preferred platform in most cases I've seen.

I'd welcome any feedback on what you'd like to see though in terms of more targeted Android content :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

alexsem6

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 pm

There is a bias here towards iOS but it's more to do with the habits of the market than anything else - I myself don't own any iOS devices. That being said, we can't review a game on a platform it doesn't yet exist on, and it wouldn't have made sense to withhold a review of a game until it was out on both platforms.

In addition to that, I can't quite justify the expense of re-reviewing a game on another platform either in a month's time, although now that we're here you've given me a feature Idea I could peruse with my android staff. Some guys like Mark own both platforms so whenever he reviews something I sometimes throw him an Android code instead, but the biggest issue here is that devs hand out iOS codes by habit now, and it's their preferred platform in most cases I've seen.

I'd welcome any feedback on what you'd like to see though in terms of more targeted Android content
You've already explained this situation (most of your staff has iOS devices), and I'must totaly cool with that. You still inform us of major Android releases and iOS reviews are no different than Android reviews for the same game. So thank you for that.

You guys are awesome! Keep up the great work.

level

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:26 pm

+1 to your criticism of the tutorial. Wow, I had no why most things were happening after running through it. I had to do play a bunch, then do the tutorial a second time to really get it.

I think half the problem is the UI, which while clever, makes it difficult to understand what is happening and why.

I, too, would struggle to explain the rules and for a game as seemingly simple as this, that's not good. It feels like more layers of rules were added in order to balance the gameplay.

Divine Retribution

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:37 pm

While waiting for the Android release my girlfriend bought it for her iPhone for me and I've been playing that. Just tonight I emailed the developer to see if I could get a beta version for Android and he gave it to me. It's not the final game so obviously you either have to watch ads to unlock chests or wait a pretty long time for them to be able to be opened but otherwise it's the full game from what I can tell after having played the iPhone version all weekend. Daily challenges, leaderboards, equipment upgrades, all of it is there. The only thing is the ads are there to unlock chests and it has a buy full version for $1.99 on the screen but you can't connect to the Play Store to purchase it, obviously.

Not sure if the final release will have the issues I've found on Android that are not present at all on the iPhone version but the main issue I found is when you click on the play button on whatever Castle you're on sometimes it takes 10 or 15 clicks to make it actually load up. It makes the clicking sound but it just doesn't want to register. The game does seem to stutter more on my S7 in the menus and while playing from time to time and these issues are also not present on iPhone. I hope it's all just a beta issue & the final version isn't problematic like that. Neither version did I notice any significant battery drain or heating issues and I also didn't experience this with Card Crawl on my S7.
Last edited by Divine Retribution on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnarlywhal

Re: Review: Card Thief

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Great review, great game...been looking forward to this ever since getting hooked on Card Crawl. They're both such beautiful works of art. Performance optimization would be nice though. It drains the battery on my 6+ quicker than anything in a long time, which is frustrating as this is THE perfect "waiting in line" game.

I like the thrill of discovery, but having a bit more info in the tutorials would be nice. For instance, what do the bubbling black clouds that sometimes appear over the guards mean? No mention of it in the tutorial. I assume it means they're getting super mad...

geigerm

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm pretty sure those clouds mean that moving onto that guard's space will get you captured and end your run.

Anonymousful

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Actually, the shadow-bubbles mean that the thief will shadowstep with the selected card. Instead of eliminating the card as he moves through it, the thief trades spaces with the guard.

One of the equipment card's upgrade quest involves shadow-stepping thrice in one path, so it's important to recognize what mechanic the term refers to.

anto

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 am

Late to the party, playing this on Android (btw, I don't see much bias nowadays toward either iOS or Android on this site, which is a welcome improvement over say a couple or more years back ...).

To further improve the game needs IMHO:

- an in game quick help/summary for all of the icon/cards.
- battery usage improvement: I have played this on Nvidia Shield tablet and in 10 minutes it went from 100% to 95%, repeated this later on and it seems a general rule of thumb: for 10 mins of play you loose 5% of battery charge (on that device at least). Definitely too much. And yes, it gets hot as if it were running a very graphically demanding app (which is not).

I have written to the devs concerning the above and I would encourage anyone who has the same concerns to do the same. As they say, the more the merrier, there might be a chance to see those issues addressed.

RogueSero

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Seriously loving this game. Loving all games by TinyTouchTales, but this one really jumps out.
But its probably me, but I foind it not an easy game. I rarely escape with a chest.

None the less, i find it real fun and look forward to unlocking more equipment cards.

I play on Android and correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no daily challenges, correct ?

Hustlertwo

Re:

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Seriously loving this game. Loving all games by TinyTouchTales, but this one really jumps out.
But its probably me, but I foind it not an easy game. I rarely escape with a chest.

None the less, i find it real fun and look forward to unlocking more equipment cards.

I play on Android and correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no daily challenges, correct ?
It's been a long time since I played Card Thief (my TTT ranking would put Card Crawl at the top, Miracle Merchant a fair bit behind and this one on the bottom), but if memory serves it does (or at least did) have daily challenges just like Card Crawl and MM. I remember playing them in the beginning and encountering cards I had yet to see outside of that mode.
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... redtoaster

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”