raketemensch

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Stone Age was unable to run (or even be installed) on ios11 for ages. CampfireCreations finally released an "updated" version of it, however it is horribly broken. For example, tools don't work. At all. You can't even complete the tutorial. CC has yet to acknowledge any of the issues or put forth a plan.

I also can't recommend Ticket to Ride enough, it should definitely be on this list. It's light enough for people new to modern board games, but with expansions like the Pennsylvania one and the new UK one it has really stepped up its game and become heavier.

EICJoe

Re: <t>Pocket Tactics Presents: The Best iOS Board Games and Card Games (Android too!)</t>

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 am

Swapped out Patchwork for Neuroshima Hex. Because I can.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Mirefox

Re: <t>Pocket Tactics Presents: The Best iOS Board Games and Card Games (Android too!)</t>

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:20 pm

Why not just add Neuroshima Hex. Patchwork is a great 2-player game that can be very appealing to non-gamers. Plus, it actually works. Neuroshima Hex is one of my favorite games but the online is very broken. I can't even invite friends to games anymore.

EICJoe

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Why not just add Neuroshima Hex. Patchwork is a great 2-player game that can be very appealing to non-gamers. Plus, it actually works. Neuroshima Hex is one of my favorite games but the online is very broken. I can't even invite friends to games anymore.
I'm a fan of being concise where possible - given the amount of quality games coming out, we could just end up adding to this list ad infinitum and I'm not sure I want to do that right now. Keeping it to ten slots feels right, and we can always swap Patchwork back in in place or something.

Alternatively, I could add some kind of 'honour roll' list at the bottom detailing which games did have a spot on the list, but now don't.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Hungerer

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:15 am

Waterdeep
Ascension

Definitely should be there. IMHO.

EICJoe

Re: The Best iOS & Android Board Games

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:15 pm

This list has been updated:

Star Realms & Race for the Galaxy are heading over to the best Card Game list because possible they fit better there? (categorisation is a bitch)

Tigris & Euphrates has joined Patchwork in the hall of fame (very bottom), and we now have three new additions to the list.

I know a few of you suggested Waterdeep and Ticket to Ride - apologies for not featuring them in this update. When we update this list again, we'll definitely do write-ups for those games.
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Cgareth

Re:

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Terra Mystica would not have made my list because I found the tutorial to be not very helpful to someone who'd never played the board game (aka: Me). I think if you already know how to play, it's easier to figure out the app, but I regret the purchase, honestly.
I know where you're coming from as I hadn't played it as a board game before I got the app, and yes the tutorial isn't great, but after sitting down with an online manual, as one would "in the real world" and getting to grips with what everything does, I really enjoy it now.

raketemensch

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:40 pm

I get that the "best of" headline is a major SEO thing for your site, but it'd be really helpful to everyone if, at the end, you just had a list of really good board games. Kinda like you already do, but more extensive.

Board gaming on iOS is entirely a reason to own an iPad, so keeping a masterlist of these would be incredibly helpful to both the site owners and the readers.

Win-win.

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 am

I get that the "best of" headline is a major SEO thing for your site, but it'd be really helpful to everyone if, at the end, you just had a list of really good board games. Kinda like you already do, but more extensive.

Board gaming on iOS is entirely a reason to own an iPad, so keeping a masterlist of these would be incredibly helpful to both the site owners and the readers.

Win-win.
Thanks for the feedback! It's something I'm feeling out and experimenting with across all the various lists. Some have a 'Hall of Fame' section at the end to show games that were rotated out, some don't... I'm keen to try and not make these lists too bloated because I worry about readability and whether or not people would want to read a list that long... you see other sites go "50 best X" or some other really high number and it always smacks me as being a bit much.
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Narkulus

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:27 am

It hurts my soul that Agricola is trapped on iOS. This game begs for an Android, Steam, Switch release.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”