admin
Site Admin

Become Legend: Hearthstone's 'New Player' journey is tough, but not insurmountable

Tue May 29, 2018 3:49 pm

Hype pushes people to early extremes: Either you ride the bandwagon as hard as you can, or you disengage and wait to see if the fire cools with time.

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/h ... mpetitive/

biffpow

Tue May 29, 2018 8:12 pm

While I usually am a fan of your work, Matt, this was pretty fluffy.

Perhaps offer some tips for new players? Which classes to focus on building up first? Key non-legend cards that make life easier for a new player? Maybe even talk about the advantages of Arena vs. other play modes as far as boosting your collection more rapidly?

You know the game really well; I feel as though you could have put some really useful info in there that would be helpful rather than the sort of general, filler article that this feels like. Unless that was your assignment from Joe. In which case, he's wasting the talents of a good writer.

EICJoe

Re:

Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 pm

While I usually am a fan of your work, Matt, this was pretty fluffy.

Perhaps offer some tips for new players? Which classes to focus on building up first? Key non-legend cards that make life easier for a new player? Maybe even talk about the advantages of Arena vs. other play modes as far as boosting your collection more rapidly?

You know the game really well; I feel as though you could have put some really useful info in there that would be helpful rather than the sort of general, filler article that this feels like. Unless that was your assignment from Joe. In which case, he's wasting the talents of a good writer.
I hear ya Biff, I'll make sure we do better next time. FWIW Matt only did what I asked of him, and what I asked of him was probably a bit too vague. There's a lot of good HS content out there and, surprise surprise, Matt does most of it! I was trying to find something that doesn't clash with his existing contracts elsewhere but would also add to the conversation.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

biffpow

Re: Re:

Wed May 30, 2018 3:09 am

I hear ya Biff, I'll make sure we do better next time. FWIW Matt only did what I asked of him, and what I asked of him was probably a bit too vague. There's a lot of good HS content out there and, surprise surprise, Matt does most of it! I was trying to find something that doesn't clash with his existing contracts elsewhere but would also add to the conversation.
Thanks, Joe--I appreciate the clarification. I am always happy to get Matt's take on HS, and I'm sure there will be lots of opportunity for more insightful stuff here.

Tony_M

Re: <t>Become Legend: Hearthstone's 'New Player' journey is tough, but not insurmountable</t>

Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 am

It depends on what kind of gamer you are. I dabble in card games, I'll never be committed enough to get to legend. But I want to experiment in all kinds of decks. When I watch Trump (no not that Trump) play a unique new deck, I want to jump in and play that deck, but I know that I never can.

I've had to settle for just Arena, Monster Hunt and Dungeon Run modes. All of which I can play as they were designed to be played.

I wish CCGs could come up with some other revenue model that let me just play the game without either shelling out tons of money or dedicating my life to grinding gold. Maybe they could make the collecting more about cosmetics. You get everything for free up front, but your cards are just black-and-white until you collect the 'real' card. Or it could work like Prestige in Call of Duty.

biffpow

Re: <t>Become Legend: Hearthstone's 'New Player' journey is tough, but not insurmountable</t>

Wed May 30, 2018 5:20 pm

It depends on what kind of gamer you are. I dabble in card games, I'll never be committed enough to get to legend. But I want to experiment in all kinds of decks. When I watch Trump (no not that Trump) play a unique new deck, I want to jump in and play that deck, but I know that I never can.

I've had to settle for just Arena, Monster Hunt and Dungeon Run modes. All of which I can play as they were designed to be played.

I wish CCGs could come up with some other revenue model that let me just play the game without either shelling out tons of money or dedicating my life to grinding gold. Maybe they could make the collecting more about cosmetics. You get everything for free up front, but your cards are just black-and-white until you collect the 'real' card. Or it could work like Prestige in Call of Duty.
If I could upvote your comment, I would.

Here are some things to know:
--Try playing the Tavern Brawls each week to score a free pack.
--Do the daily quests, whether on casual or ladder. If you get a quest for a class or type of card you just don't like or want to play, then you have the option to get rid of that quest for a new one (under the exclamation point on the main screen, then you'll see your quests listed on the bottom; click on the little icon on the upper right corner of a quest, and it will trade it for new one; you can do it once a day).
--Don't avoid ladder even if you have a questionable or weak deck--you'll still win games at times, and you don't lose your place on the ladder until you get to level 20. And once you win five ladder games each month, you get some decent extras at the end of the month.
--There are a lot of good FTP/low cost decks on the HS strategy sites, some of which actually work pretty well. At the least, they give you ideas for structuring your own. Some of their creators do streams too.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”