admin
Site Admin

Review: Star Traders: Frontiers

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:18 pm

The Trese Brothers should be considered a ‘house name’ in mobiles games – for years they’ve been quietly toiling away at their own series of inter-connected RPG and strategy games,...

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/st ... frontiers/

mintsauce

Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:40 pm

So I'm confused... the negative review doesn't seem to match the glowing five star recommendation!

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:13 pm

So I'm confused... the negative review doesn't seem to match the glowing five star recommendation!
It's not a negative review? I posted some cautionary tales to temper enthusiasm... but I'd still highly recommend it.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

acedout

Re: <t>Review: Star Traders: Frontiers</t>

Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:05 pm

I downloaded the game but the lack of tutorial is shocking. It's not an easy game to get into.

EICJoe

Re: <t>Review: Star Traders: Frontiers</t>

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:17 pm

I downloaded the game but the lack of tutorial is shocking. It's not an easy game to get into.
Yeah, can't argue with that. The initial story mission should teach you some basics, and then it's more of a case of trial an error. Don't forget you can save-scum with multiple save slots, and then beyond that I'd honestly suggest looking up a guide or two just to round off those fundamentals.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

zot23

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:37 pm

ACEDOUT - I did the same thing. It's not a learning curve, it's a learning cliff and the Trese Bros throw you off of it after 10 mins. ;)

Look up an online youtube guide though, 30 mins of watching someone else explain how to play does wonders. I did this yesterday, now the mechanics make a lot more sense. Plus a lot of the stuff that happens you can just straight up ignore in normal gameplay (all the stuff that occurs between voyages on the right-hand side of the screen.)

tactfulgamer

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:28 pm

This game is GODLY levels. There is no, it???s kind of ok, this game is Masterpiece!
It embodies many games, mechanics into one seamless, fun game. I???m here advocating because way too many crap games get attention, then here comes one of those masterpieces every one sidesteps. I???m going to pour my passion onto it???s attention radar for the public.

It???s really not hard (I???m the guy who had hell learning to play Civ 6, Rome Total War, Darkest Dungeon, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite iOS) If you can play those, this is cheesecake.

If you a... twitchy fest, thumb, thumb press and go, press and go player - you???re screwed, not for you, this is a movie, a book, a true rpg with simulative cause and effect. Absorb it, immerse it, live it! And you will come out beyond satisfied and gratified. Let the story, it???s artwork, and very well written story and side quests take you - and you will indeed, be in for a space, imagination coaster.

Too hard for you?
Learn to play like I did from some guy on YouTube called: Mint Dragon (he is so detailed, even offering insight as to why he chose, what option, or class build) within first 3 videos you will be off and running. Playlist here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... mLYHWGma5r

Quick-bit Overviews about this Legend of a game:

??? Game of Thrones/ Babylon 5 space opera like politics here. Deep stuff.

??? Decisions do carry weight and have universal repercussions think FallOut New Vegas

??? Tactics and more beautiful Tactics. (Jobs & abilities matter!) the more people have with the same skills, the stronger the effect of said skill - don???t put everybody on one skill or your dead, it???s a universe. Figure out your build and role with it, avoid your weaknesses push through your strengths.

Talking about builds...

??? Skyrim levels of Role Playing here. Meaning very flexible with class builds. Except, unlike in Skyrim where you can be everything and end up godlike, in here, you have to fully role play your archetype role with it???s strengths & weaknesses.

Assassin? (Check)
Spymaster - aka the information broker from Mass Effect (check)
Tactician? (Check)
Medic? (Check)
Explorer? (Check)
Indiana Jones in Space hunting Artifacts? (Check)
Bounty Hunter? (Check)
Pirate? (Check)
Merchant? (Check)

Appease all nations? (Check)
Loyalty to one nation? (Check)

Space ship combat? (Check)
Ground troop combat? (Check)

Class Customization & Character skins? (Check)

It???s all here. I love a developments studio, that can create a game, that encompasses so many other game styles (that I love) and brings them all together into one juicy, delightful, fruit bowl medley.

These brothas (and I was saying that in slang) but they really are brothers, anyways.. these brothas.. will stay getting money from me, with this game, as long as they keep adding more quality content, story arcs, side quests and skins.

After watching the YouTube playlist above (and learning the basics of the mechanics and the concepts) go in YouTube and checkout all the builds the community has already devised. Soo much out there. What a gem.

Playing on iPad Pro 10.5 2017 model with Apple Pencil.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”