admin
Site Admin

The Best Games of Apple Arcade

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:13 pm

Apple’s long-standing reputation for innovation and all-around brilliance is offset by its missteps, like bend-gate or the 32-bit app purge.

http://www.pockettactics.com/guides/apple-arcade-games/

RedPanda

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Neo Cab is far and away my favourite so far. The writing is just so, so good, and made even better from the tension of having to balance your star rating with the desire to pursue certain lines of conversation.

raindog308

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:42 pm

So if I want to play Overland, it will cost me $5/mo? No option to just buy the game? I don't see one in the App Store.

That's appalling and a very bad sign for the future of mobile gaming.

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:24 pm

So if I want to play Overland, it will cost me $5/mo? No option to just buy the game? I don't see one in the App Store.

Quite a few games are both available to buy normally and get via Apple Arcade, but not Overland, I guess. Whether that changes I don't know.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

andsoitgoes

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 am

Smh, listen it???s this or an even further more rampant invasion of FTP garbage that completely eschews actual gameplay for waiting, timers and enough currency options to kill a horse.

For $5/month you get access to an increasingly larger selection of curated and high quality titles, many of which are 3-4 times the price to purchase on their console counterparts.

You???re literally balking at spending the price of a single game once a month for access to all these games. Seriously man, appalling? What???s appalling is the obviously needed trend of FTP because expecting customers to buy your games (swap in songs to see the comparison for music artists) at sometimes that amount or more has yielded developers nothing.

You could say the same about streaming music or tv/movie services. Yet they aren???t ???bad signs??? for mobile gaming.

Since I got Apple Arcade on Tuesday I???ve sank my teeth into quite a few games that have truly enraptured my attention more than the $30/40 game purchases. They???re easy to get into and if I don???t like something, I can just delete it and move on - I don???t have to bemoan my $5/10 because there is always something else to play.

You have to recognize the major issues with your stance on these things. Subscription services like this are much more consumer friendly than expecting your customers to shell out a fortune on ???mobile games???

andsoitgoes

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:21 am

Hey Michael just a heads up, not all arcade games support controllers. Some that do also do not fully support them (what the golf for example has multiple levels that you need to hold your device with).

For example Where The Cards Fall is not at all compatible with controllers as it requires using your fingers to interact with the environments in ways that I won???t spoil, but those ways don???t have the same meaning if you were to use a controller.

If you compare what???s available on the Apple TV vs iOS you???ll notice a serious lack of games in the ATV, for a variety of reasons.

Suxel

Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 am

Dread Nautical which is very X-COMesque with great story, great voice acting and rogue-lite elements. Absolutely amazing TBS with equipment management etc.

acedout

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:39 pm

I highly recommend The Pinball Wizard. Combines Pinball + Rogue-like RPG. What's not to like?

I Managed to complete the game (beat the final boss) in around 4/5 hours, but it's lots of fun with limited replay-ability.

Highly original. I'd love to see more levels though.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/the-pinba ... 1098316620

acedout

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Neo Cab is far and away my favourite so far. The writing is just so, so good, and made even better from the tension of having to balance your star rating with the desire to pursue certain lines of conversation.
Does seem good so far. A warning as to an impending dystopian technocratic agenda? Several nods to Black Mirror and social credit scoring (China Style).

stubbieoz

Re: <t>The Best Games of Apple Arcade</t>

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:18 am

Dread Nautical and Spelldrifter are the two games giving me my TBS fix.
I can see how both of these games could easily have been released as FTP games. In fact Spelldrifter was originally released on Steam as Labyrinth which was an online FTP game with in game purchases. Thankfully both are now free of the free.
Both have high quality production values as well.
AA has been a pleasant surprise for me and has given me some hope that my decision to go Apple rather than Google was a good decision after all.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”