Don't get me wrong, you can see that BETA thing from 2 km, you didn't even go and check it out if you're playing the proper version of the game. But, you couldn't even do that did you?
I just want to take a moment to address this point specifically, as it's important to understand how the review process works.
So, putting aside the facts of this specific incident for a moment - if any company hands us game code for the purpose of review, regardless of what the version number says it's generally accepted that the game is in a state suitable for review. They wouldn't be giving it to us in the first place otherwise.
Now, thanks to Steam's "branch" system, it's possible for developers to maintain two different game states. In this instance the 0.904.0 version we reviewed, and then the 'Review Branch' which I assume had the 1.0 update applied to it. Due to an error on my part, I did not hand over to Marcello key instructions that would have allowed him to experience the game in the 1.0 state.
But there was no need to 'check' because, as far as we were concerned, this was perfectly normal - and it is, by and large (even though review branches are becoming more and more common, they are not always 1.0 versions).
It's worth noting though that the beta version that the majority of our review is based on was the version immediately prior
to release - Warlords
was already feature complete, it was already ~95% finished as a commercial product. Obviously, we have taken steps to ensure we've accounted for that remaining 5%.
There were a couple of things, like the prologue, that were overhauled significantly going into 1.0 that we had to revise our critique on, but it must be noted that quite a few of the things Marcello disliked haven't actually changed post-1.0.
Again, I understand our verdict does not share the general consensus, but please don't question our credibility so casually. We DID make a mistake, and now we have corrected it. That should not invalidate all the hard work Marcello put into playing and evaluating this game.
Obviously, we encourage people to check out several reviews (written, video or otherwise) to get a clearer picture - we are by no means an absolute authority. Just fellow gamers who happen to get paid for this.