admin
Site Admin

Review: Starpoint Gemini Warlords

Wed May 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Starpoint Gemini Warlords is a conflicted game. On one hand, it is built with all the hallmarks of a strategy game -- fleet orders, context menus, and resource management.

http://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/re ... -warlords/

Melodic666

Wed May 24, 2017 6:47 pm

That's just like your opinion man.

MOD: Please watch your language. If you want to disagree with the review's verdict that's fine, but keep things civil.

BloodyMary

Wed May 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Beta 0.904.0 version says so on the screenshot. Old version review -_-.

Well, that said, some things in the review are still true, camera is a bit quirky till you get used to it, and a game in early build had a steep learning curve especially for those new to the series, like myself, tho in gold version, with the full campaign it's ok i think. A bit more balancing regarding materials and the game would be pinpoint on the proper path. It being a mix of the genre, I kidna remembered the old Battlezone tank-controlling RTS game, that thing was awesome, just a bit weirder to get used to. Think it's the same with Warlords, once you get into it, you don't leave it.

As for graphics, it could also be a Beta issue, not sure, I think it looks great if you think about being able to literally participate and fight in a fleet vs fleet Homeworld like clash of over 100 ships in a single battle, without fps drops.

Joamsons

Wed May 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Sorry but I don't share your review of Starpoint Gemini Warlords to be lackluster and average. In contrary, I find this game to be engaging in any role you play as fleet commander, combat pilot, trader, miner, explorer, or pirate. The game is stellar in its strategic and tactical combat and 4X design. It's very enjoyable to play especially when you have leveled up in rank, got a dreadnaught or carrier with better weapons, skills, perks, equipment, got fire power support of AI Warmasters and Supercapital ships. I have played the game on early access for 174 hours since 2016 up to its full release on May 23, 2017 with no regrets. The game was developed by LGM together with the community of players and nothing can match the exchange of ideas and intensity of discussion to make the game acceptable to the best players in its genre. With all these being said, I rate this game 5 stars in quality and is worth buying.

EICJoe

Re: Review: Starpoint Gemini Warlords

Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Hello everyone,

We were contacted by the developers who expressed a couple of concerns as well, so I've looked into this.

An error was made during the review of Warlords - there was a review branch available for press that had the launch version of the game available which I did not notice when I handed this off to Marcello to review, so yes, our impressions are largely based on the Beta 0.904.0 version of the game.

We have cross-referenced with the developer and the publicly available patch notes for the 1.0 version and edited our review to more accurately reflect the technical state of the at launch.

Marcello has also played more of the game as it is post-launch just to double check his impressions, and we've also updated our screenshots to avoid future confusion.

Just to be clear: we stand by our score and our overall verdict. A lot of the elements that Marcello found disappointing had nothing to do with the technical nature of the game. We have edited the review to correct any inaccuracies and to be fair to the technical state, but that's it.

If you have any further concerns or questions, you're more than welcome to email me directly.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Melodic666

Thu May 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Okay, I'll keep it civil, ya'll just caught me off guard with that BETA fail and Freelancer comparison graphics. I still think that this game pulls the Freelancer-alike best out of them all. (Until - or if ever Star Citizen gets it stuff together and makes it a proper fully functional game instead of 10 different games which aren't connected or serve any purpose)

Don't get me wrong, you can see that BETA thing from 2 km, you didn't even go and check it out if you're playing the proper version of the game. But, you couldn't even do that did you?

So, all I can say is that you did this job pretty much carelessly and didn't even bother to check certain facts about what you're playing and reviewing.

The game isn't perfect obviously and it got it's flaws, but is it fun? Yes.
Graphical comparison to Freelancer? Just no, even tho graphics are subjective opinion, this in no way looks like it's from 2005. SPG2 looked way better than the Freelancer, and Warlords look way better than the Starpoint Gemini 2. Again, the game isn't Star Citizen, nor it has the 1 billion budget as SC has, but it is looking beautiful.

Anyways, after your first failed attempt by reviewing BETA, certain points in the game and that thing about graphics (as if it matters anyways that much) I can't take this review seriously, and I hope that nobody who reads it will either.

It's anyways way better to check stuff on Youtube and EVEN Steam reviews (which are marked helpful and aren't having less than 10 hours, be it positive or negative).

EICJoe

Re:

Fri May 26, 2017 8:01 am

Don't get me wrong, you can see that BETA thing from 2 km, you didn't even go and check it out if you're playing the proper version of the game. But, you couldn't even do that did you?
I just want to take a moment to address this point specifically, as it's important to understand how the review process works.

So, putting aside the facts of this specific incident for a moment - if any company hands us game code for the purpose of review, regardless of what the version number says it's generally accepted that the game is in a state suitable for review. They wouldn't be giving it to us in the first place otherwise.

Now, thanks to Steam's "branch" system, it's possible for developers to maintain two different game states. In this instance the 0.904.0 version we reviewed, and then the 'Review Branch' which I assume had the 1.0 update applied to it. Due to an error on my part, I did not hand over to Marcello key instructions that would have allowed him to experience the game in the 1.0 state.

But there was no need to 'check' because, as far as we were concerned, this was perfectly normal - and it is, by and large (even though review branches are becoming more and more common, they are not always 1.0 versions).

It's worth noting though that the beta version that the majority of our review is based on was the version immediately prior to release - Warlords was already feature complete, it was already ~95% finished as a commercial product. Obviously, we have taken steps to ensure we've accounted for that remaining 5%.

There were a couple of things, like the prologue, that were overhauled significantly going into 1.0 that we had to revise our critique on, but it must be noted that quite a few of the things Marcello disliked haven't actually changed post-1.0.

Again, I understand our verdict does not share the general consensus, but please don't question our credibility so casually. We DID make a mistake, and now we have corrected it. That should not invalidate all the hard work Marcello put into playing and evaluating this game.

Obviously, we encourage people to check out several reviews (written, video or otherwise) to get a clearer picture - we are by no means an absolute authority. Just fellow gamers who happen to get paid for this.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Melodic666

Re: Review: Starpoint Gemini Warlords

Fri May 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Indeed, but, the review was released on 24th may, and the 1.0 version went live on the 23rd may at 7 PM CET. And since you have to be using Steam to play it, the update was obviously queued when the guy played it, unless he did it offline lol.

And you/Marcello was reviewing the BETA version as a fully released game because the review itself didn't say BETA review, doesn't matter if the game is gonna get 1.0 release tomorrow or in a year if it's BETA you're reviewing, your review should say BETA, that's the biggest problem here and that should've been noticed and fixed, I know that the guy is probably reviewing a lot of the games, but it still shouldn't be done so carelessly. The beta wasn't exactly 95%, since I take it that the story is more than 5% of a game, at least that's my opinion, imagine TES4 without a story (rough comparison, the writing in TES4 is way above Warlords league). And there was a few features that weren't yet implemented.

Sure, the foundation stuff was in, you could build almost anything, but scenarios were completely different, difficulty was different (BETA AI was over 9000 aggressive and you couldn't expand properly, but the rest of the game was a lot easier, you could solo everything without sweating on Extreme), ship/fleet AI wasn't updated as to the version that's up now and was a lot dumber, Warmasters weren't still as strong as they were in 1.0 release, AI factions weren't slaughtering each others, there were almost no random battles in space, so it was a lot emptier etc. It's a lot of technical stuff that affects everything actually.

I've got 430 hours on this game, played it through all the EA branches, so I know what I noticed and what I'm talking about, and also I can't review the story properly yet since I'm not 50% in it, then there are side quests with lore etc.

Also a proper review of the story can't be done in less than 24 hours after it was released as the content, especially since you were playing BETA apparently until 24th may or even 25th, then considering you had to write this review, AND you had to sleep, that leaves 15 hours to play if you constantly played it - so no breaks, food, toilet lol. You can't rate a story on that much because you need to do a lot of the things, that is unless you cheated your way through the story by editing save, but that makes story boring and pointless by default if you're too strong for everything.

Then there's also that negative point about commanding a single ship... And that was the whole point of the game, straight from the first one, and that's something that makes it unique and fun personally, being able to jump in different ships would've made it all pointless.

I didn't question your credibility so easily, sure I don't agree with a lot of the points here, and that Freelancer graphic comparison is making my eyes bleed, but it's just that you can't release a fully proper review in less than 24 hours since the game went live, especially when it has this much things to do, unless you just fly through everything without caring much thus invalidating your own review, it's same as those steam reviews which are rating the game as positive/negative with same amount of hours, it's just too fast. I can list a lot of games which I hated at first and loved later, and vice versa.

I'm not just outright defending the game or the devs, I'm not a fanboy. I myself have made a lot of suggestions and a lot of posts about stuff I didn't like and found plain boring which I wanted to get changed, and I'm still doing it.
I'm just saying that I don't really see this review as a valid presentation of the game, I wouldn't mind if it gave the game a negative review if it was well written and all the points were properly taken and explained, sorry.

bcasner

Fri May 26, 2017 1:00 pm

While I respect the reviewers comments, on this one I have to differ with him. Starpoint Gemini Warlords is one of those special games that fits a niche. Its not a Stellaris type game, it fits in complexity around the middle as space games go.

Frankly the appeal of this game is it's not too complex, it's not too light, it's just right for comfortable fun game. As a reviewer I know you have to judge the setting/visuals/gameplay and that's a hard thing to do. Just think had you played it further I think you would have liked it. Good story, good progression, lots of options and yes there are some similarities to the good things in Freelancer.

Fun yet not perfect. It is a grinding mission game and there are things to improve, but to give this a 2 star? It's better than that. I hope you revisit it.

Just my 2 cents.

Black Metal

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:01 am

lol devs mad in the comments section

Return to “Strategy Gamer Front Page Discussion”