admin
Site Admin

Stellaris: DLC Buying Guide

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Paradox’s take on space 4X is nearing a year and a half since release, and while its DLC list is fairly unimposing compared to the studio’s other games like Europa...

http://www.strategygamer.com/articles/s ... ing-guide/

RedWingen

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi, great article! I particularly like the highlights, they provide quite the insight into the Stellaris DLC and it really shows that you know a lot about the game!

I myself am working on a video game DLC summary page. It isn't quite as in-depth but provides information in a simple, condensed manner. See for yourself: http://www.gamebuyersguide.com/game/36/ ... -game-keys

jeffy777

Re: Stellaris: DLC Buying Guide

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 am

Was looking into buying Stellaris, but then saw a ton of Steam reviews claiming that the 2.0 update ruined the game. Is this true? Would a new player like me be able to tell the difference? Maybe you guys have already addressed this in an article and I missed it?

EICJoe

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:46 am

Was looking into buying Stellaris, but then saw a ton of Steam reviews claiming that the 2.0 update ruined the game. Is this true? Would a new player like me be able to tell the difference? Maybe you guys have already addressed this in an article and I missed it?
The 2.0 update *changed* the game, and people are arguing over the nature of that change. Some like it, some don't.

It's a bit of a long story but the devs didn't feel the way they had originally designed Stellaris was sustainable from a development stand-point in the long run, so they changed it to what most people call 'EUIV in Space'. It makes everything a bit more 2D and 'flat', but it allows them to more more interesting abstract mechanics.

As a new player, you won't know what the game was like before though so it should be fine - I'd still definitely recommend giving it a go. It's still a good game IMO but I can understand why people who liked the way it was before would be upset. It's no longer the game they originally bought.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

jeffy777

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Can you elaborate a bit more on how they “flattened” it? Could you zoom in more on the planets before or something? Really appreciate it.

EICJoe

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Can you elaborate a bit more on how they “flattened” it? Could you zoom in more on the planets before or something? Really appreciate it.
More of a conceptual 'flatness', in the sense that they're not really bothering to take into account the 3D nature of space anymore. To be fair not many games do so this isn't a negative per say. Under the original design though there were several different ways a race could travel via FTL.

They've now eliminated two of them leaving just one based around the concept of 'hyperlanes' - space roads connecting one system to another. Having all three in one game mean't that defending your territory was hard... but that's kinda what space is about. State defences aren't and would never be a 'thing' in interstellar warfare.

It is what it is - if it helps them make the game better, then I'm all for it, but there's no use pretending that they haven't taken a very... 'pedestrian' view on space and science fiction.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

jeffy777

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks again. I’ve been trying to make heads or tales of the Steam reviews, so this is very helpful. Now, if it will just go on sale...

The Fox

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Now, if it will just go on sale...
Most of it is : https://www.fanatical.com/en/search?pag ... sortBy=fan

(Fanatical sells products that are officially licensed - new name for Bundle Stars)

jeffy777

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:18 am

Now, if it will just go on sale...
Most of it is : https://www.fanatical.com/en/search?pag ... sortBy=fan

(Fanatical sells products that are officially licensed - new name for Bundle Stars)
Nice! Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “Strategy Gamer Front Page Discussion”