admin
Site Admin

<t>The Best RTS Games</t>

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Everyone has their personal list of the best RTS games of all time, and many of those lists a packed with the classics from the 90’s and early 2000’s.

http://www.strategygamer.com/articles/best-rts-games/

EICJoe

Fri May 25, 2018 4:11 pm

This list has been updated to include Tropico 5 and Frostpunk. Sins and BFG: Armada have migrated over to the Best Space Strategy Games list.

TokyoDan

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:07 am

At the beginning of this article you wrote that the RTS genre is having a hard time breaking away from the lure of MOBAs. I was wondering...is there a modern SINGLE-PLAYER RTS that plays like a MOBA?

(I like the concept of MOBA but I don't care for multiplayer games.)

smacker31

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:11 am

I have always loved RTS Games. Age of kings, tropico, starcraft, etc. Just wish that devs would look to make some more. Another great list of games here: https://www.dudedaily.ca/best-rts-games-of-all-time/

Beefers

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:52 pm

At the beginning of this article you wrote that the RTS genre is having a hard time breaking away from the lure of MOBAs. I was wondering...is there a modern SINGLE-PLAYER RTS that plays like a MOBA?

(I like the concept of MOBA but I don't care for multiplayer games.)
Spellforce 3's campaign plays more like Knights of the Old Republic and a MOBA then it does a traditional RTS campaign. More towards the crpg side then moba side though, but I would definitely qualify it as a moba like campaign if you dont mind a hefty dose of story and exploration.

This list is pretty tame overall, find it odd that Empires Apart and Bannermen are featured next to their more complete inspirations and a whole slew of more interesting titles were left out.

sharonbn

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:46 pm

What about Warlords Battlecry 3. I liked it a lot back in the days...

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:31 am

What about Warlords Battlecry 3. I liked it a lot back in the days...
I don't remember that one! Will have to look it up.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor
Wargamer.com
StrategyGamer.com

delastone

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:08 pm

John Wick Hex is not RTS... subtil WEGO but how can you define this as a RTS since there is ... turns. Putting this on this list doesn't make sense at all . Also putting Close Combat: The Bloody First in this list of best RTS is non sense. The game has been highly criticized for the lack of originality, the bug feast and so on. This is NOT the promising return of the license, in the contrary...

I am very disapointed with your choice to include both of those games...

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:11 pm

John Wick Hex is not RTS... subtil WEGO but how can you define this as a RTS since there is ... turns. Putting this on this list doesn't make sense at all . Also putting Close Combat: The Bloody First in this list of best RTS is non sense. The game has been highly criticized for the lack of originality, the bug feast and so on. This is NOT the promising return of the license, in the contrary...

I am very disapointed with your choice to include both of those games...
Are there turns though?

As far as JWH is concerned, all you do is queue up some actions and let them play out, and then the game pauses for you to let you queue up some more.

If that sequence of time was a defined length I'd agree it's more of a 'turn' but it's not - the period of real-time resolution lasts as long as your action does.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor
Wargamer.com
StrategyGamer.com

sharonbn

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:24 am

I think Offworld Trading Company does not belong to the list.
RTS is a sub genre of strategy games. Traditionally, strategy games define conflict-based (or faction-based) games.
OTC belongs to "city builder" genre. if it is listed here, the question rises where are Simcity (the granddaddy of all city builders), Settlers series, Anno series, Caesar series (or any of its derivatives from Impressions/Tilted Mill), Cities Skylines, Banished.....

However, what about Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion? I admit I did not play it myself. but it is widely praised and bares "Overwhelmingly Positive" rating over at Steam

Return to “Strategy Gamer Front Page Discussion”