admin
Site Admin

Total War: Rome 2 is getting review-bombed over female characters

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:56 pm

The recent ‘Ancestral Update’ to Total War: Rome II has resulted in hordes of angry players leaving negative reviews on the game’s Steam page.

http://www.strategygamer.com/articles/t ... haracters/

Vorenus81

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:31 pm

I reckon this whole backlash is not only against supposed overrepresentation of female generals in the game, but also against the reply that CA spokesman gave to the community "mod them out or just not play" This is not the way the long-time fans of the franchise should be treated. Last time another big game developer addressed it's fan base this way, it didn't end up well for sale of their game.
As a long-time fan of the franchise I'm a bit confused hearing that Rome II is not meant to be historically accurate but "historically authentic" - to be honest I don't see much difference between these words, but since I'm not native speaker, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've always thought that historical accuracy was at the core of the franchise (except for non-historical Warhammer TW of course) and this is what draws history fans to this game. There are some casual players for sure, who don't bother about historical accuracy, but even if you look at the Total War modding scene, the most popular mods have always been those which cater for historical accuracy.
There was an article about other "historical" CA game Thrones of Britannia on your sister website, some time ago, praising the game for surprisingly true representation of the portrayed period. And that's how it ought to be.
The whole series takes many liberties with history for the sake of fun - there's no doubt about it, but there's strong feeling that this time there was something more behind this update, something which had to be forced through players throats, especially that it's not released as paid DLC but obligatory patch. There are still (5 year after release...) many other issues with this game which should be addressed first (AI, UI etc.) ...but somehow they decided there are other priorities...well, no wonder it made people angry (although it doesn't justify rudeness, insults in the comments etc...)
It would be better to leave the choice to the players to decide if they want these changes, or release this content as DLC (or update to Daughters of Mars).

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:56 am

I reckon this whole backlash is not only against supposed overrepresentation of female generals in the game, but also against the reply that CA spokesman gave to the community "mod them out or just not play" This is not the way the long-time fans of the franchise should be treated. Last time another big game developer addressed it's fan base this way, it didn't end up well for sale of their game.
As a long-time fan of the franchise I'm a bit confused hearing that Rome II is not meant to be historically accurate but "historically authentic" - to be honest I don't see much difference between these words, but since I'm not native speaker, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've always thought that historical accuracy was at the core of the franchise (except for non-historical Warhammer TW of course) and this is what draws history fans to this game. There are some casual players for sure, who don't bother about historical accuracy, but even if you look at the Total War modding scene, the most popular mods have always been those which cater for historical accuracy.
There was an article about other "historical" CA game Thrones of Britannia on your sister website, some time ago, praising the game for surprisingly true representation of the portrayed period. And that's how it ought to be.
The whole series takes many liberties with history for the sake of fun - there's no doubt about it, but there's strong feeling that this time there was something more behind this update, something which had to be forced through players throats, especially that it's not released as paid DLC but obligatory patch. There are still (5 year after release...) many other issues with this game which should be addressed first (AI, UI etc.) ...but somehow they decided there are other priorities...well, no wonder it made people angry (although it doesn't justify rudeness, insults in the comments etc...)
It would be better to leave the choice to the players to decide if they want these changes, or release this content as DLC (or update to Daughters of Mars).
Historical authenticity and historical accuracy are different concepts, although the idea of historical accuracy in any videogame is a fantasy. The historical Total War games might get some specific things pretty accurate (based on known information), but by and large the majority of the game will be an authentic abstraction of a period of history for the purposes of entertainment.

As also has been proven, this whole thing over female characters has been largely made up - the math is actually pretty modest. I don't personally think the CM's response was that bad although it was the kind of response that would provoke a reaction.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Strategy Gamer Front Page Discussion”