EICJoe

Re:

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 am

I have just signed up to say that any such list not including Sid Meyer's Gettysburg/Antietam series (still playable) is not worth taking seriously.
Fair point well made - I've given it an honorary mention in the text.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Stretch71

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:22 pm

I have just signed up to say that any such list not including Sid Meyer's Gettysburg/Antietam series (still playable) is not worth taking seriously.
Agreed. Many happy hours spent playing Gettysburg in the late 1990s. Such a great title!

Of the more recent offerings, Ultimate General is certainly worth a look for those wanting to play the whole war.

inktek

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Not sure if Ultimate General: Civil War belongs on this list. I guess if you don't play a campaign it does. But the campaign seems to me more like the old Atari 2600 games where the more levels you play the more the game throws at you. Its seems your reward for sucess is to punish you for sucess. A very liberal idea, not sure it belongs in a wargame ( an arcade game perhaps). I do enjoy the game, but that is what it is to me, only a fun game that is not a classic wargame (in campaign mode that is).

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:08 am

Not sure if Ultimate General: Civil War belongs on this list. I guess if you don't play a campaign it does. But the campaign seems to me more like the old Atari 2600 games where the more levels you play the more the game throws at you. Its seems your reward for sucess is to punish you for sucess. A very liberal idea, not sure it belongs in a wargame ( an arcade game perhaps). I do enjoy the game, but that is what it is to me, only a fun game that is not a classic wargame (in campaign mode that is).
I think your use of the word 'classic' is quite telling there. I'm not saying you're wrong - but I do think the definition of wargames need to change and evolve so that the hobby remains dynamic. The problem with catering to the same, ageing demographic is that sadly you're all going to one day shuffle off this coil and then the hobby could implode.

Although I'm also not saying UG:CW's campaign is the new standard we should all be striving for either, mind. Just to illustrate that new ideas are needed more and more as the years roll on.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

AP514

Re: <t>The Best American Civil War Strategy Games</t>

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 am

+1 For Sid's GETTYSBURG.......Also, Anv's WATERLOO and Austerlitz...

dalec

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:10 pm

Matrix games also has many strategic Civil War games, Forge of Freedom, War between the states, etc.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”