admin
Site Admin

Review: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:48 pm

The World War II flight sim IL-2 Sturmovik has been around since 2001. Designed by then Russian developer Maddox Games (and published today by Russian computer game company 1C), the...

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/il-2-st ... talingrad/

Vorenus81

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:48 am

I play this game few times every week and even though I'm not an expert by any means I would suggest everyone, who wants to start playing this game: don't let the initial difficulties discourage you. There are some really helpful YT videos made by Requiem (The Air Combat Library) which describe basics for each aircraft in the game (taxi, take-off & landing procedures). Anyone who watch these films and practice a few hours, will be ready to pilot each of these machines on expert settings.
My advice for beginners are:

1) Choose one aircraft and become good at flying this one particular type.
If fighter planes seem too difficult for you, you can always strive to be good bomber or attacker pilot (or even Ju52 or U2VS) this also gives a lot of fun, and is much needed in multiplayer battles (flying in bomber formations with other players, really is a rewarding experience.

2) Try playing some single player career mode or scripted campaigns to get a grip on basic flying maneuvers and air combat essentials.

3) Jump into one of multiplayer servers and...get ready to play a role of being a prey for more experienced players flying there...but get huuuuge satisfaction in return, after watching human opponent going down in flames after your first successful dogfight :)
Make a survival in these battles your priority and learn from your mistakes.

4) Join one of multiplayer squadrons and fly in cooperation with others on servers like Wings of Liberty, KOTA and Tactical Air War and say goodbye to your social life ;)

This game (as few other flight sims) requires some commitment. You must have decent rig, along with some peripherals (I myself use Thrustmaster 1600 with Throttle and Rudder Pedals and cheap OpenTrack for head movement tracking). It takes some time and time to learn flying essentials and master these WWII birds, but not as long as one might think.
Be warned though ! If you sink into this game (and in flight sims in general) you might lose time and interest to play other games ;)

The Fox

Re: <t>Review: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad</t>

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:14 pm

BOS (and its siblings) is a bit pricey IMHO given the business model used, and is likely to be one the toughest, if not the toughest game you’ll ever master.
I'll see your IL-2 Stalingrad and raise you with Digital Combat Simulator.

Probably the toughest game I'll never master ;) .

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”