admin
Site Admin

The Admiral's Guide to Rule the Waves 2

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:23 pm

It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when starting a new game of Rule the Waves 2. I cut my teeth on its predecessor and have had a pretty decent run with...

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/rule-the-waves-2-tips/

dalec

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Nice article, makes me want to purchase this pc game. I couldn't find this at Matrix or on Steam, who makes this and where would someone find this game?

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:25 am

Nice article, makes me want to purchase this pc game. I couldn't find this at Matrix or on Steam, who makes this and where would someone find this game?
It's made by Naval Warfare Simulations and is sold directly on their website. If you did a general google search you would find it but the direct link is here.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Kolbex

Re: <t>The Admiral's Guide to Rule the Waves 2</t>

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:04 pm

This is definitely one of those games that seems like it was designed for those who already play it, which is why I've held off despite being very interested in the subject matter. I could never really make heads or tails of the first one, even though I was an early Steam and Iron adopter and never had much trouble with that game or its campaign expansion. Just what the game expects you to do is pretty opaque right from the get go, and I have very little time or patience for hours of YouTube videos by bored-sounding guys with thick accents, which is what passes for tutorials in the wargame sphere these days, pretty much.

EICJoe

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:33 am

This is definitely one of those games that seems like it was designed for those who already play it, which is why I've held off despite being very interested in the subject matter. I could never really make heads or tails of the first one, even though I was an early Steam and Iron adopter and never had much trouble with that game or its campaign expansion. Just what the game expects you to do is pretty opaque right from the get go, and I have very little time or patience for hours of YouTube videos by bored-sounding guys with thick accents, which is what passes for tutorials in the wargame sphere these days, pretty much.
It's been a learning curve for me, as someone who's never played anything like this before. There's a lot to be found in the manual but I don't think manual documentation should be the be-all and end-all of learning war games like this. Some concepts it doesn't explain at all anyway, so when it comes down to certain decisions you need help with it might as well not exist.

I'm hoping their researchers manage to invent this cutting edge new invention called 'tool-tips'.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Kolbex

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:30 pm

There's a lot to be found in the manual
Depending on your definition of "a lot" this alone could represent a significant advance over the first game's manual, for which "inadequate" would be an extremely generous description.

DeRuyter66

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Nice write up. I am most interested in pre-dreadnoughts and dreadnoughts though, so I will wait for "Ultimate Admiral Dreadnought". I think having played miniatures games onboard the USS Olympia predisposes me to the early ships!! No pesky aircraft for me, ok maybe WWI era!

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”