Private Prinny

Does size really matter? Reloaded [iPad pro 9,7 vs iPad ridicule ingens maximus]]

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi there,

folks from the old forums may know my affection to discuss about our first world problem in deciding for the next big iDevice.

In a rather unexpected twist (at least for me) the new iPad is named iPad pro 9,7 instead of ipad Air 3.

I am planning to upgrade my iPad yet again (I found again someone in my larger family circle to shove*cough* pass on my iPad) but before that I am deliberating some facts.

I bought my first iPad which was the 3rd gen. iPad at launch the first pad with the retina display. I liked it pretty much but fealt a bit ripped off when only 6 month later the (much) improved 4th gen iPad was released.
The 3rd gen iPad was the only one up till the newest iPad pro 9,7 which was released in spring outside the usual autumn/fall release schedule they kept since start.

What do you think...will there be another mainline iPad (no mini or oversized pro) this fall?

On the other hand I am very pleased for an increased storage size on the new pad. it may be expensive but i am a storage hound and 256 GB would be very nice with my habits of keeping tons of mp3, movies, series, apps, games mangas comics etc on the device for immediate access. I am noone who can manage storage space efficiently, I need it all now ;-P

This is because I am commuting betwen 2 and 3 hours a day with bus and train. If i don't have books or now my iPad for distraction i would go insane pretty fast

Therefore the increased cpu/gpu power over my current iPad Air (1st gen) and the appreciated increase in storage space is nearly an insta-buy for me... what do you think of the new device?

Also it may be the first time i would pony up even more and go for the cellular option. I was pretty content with wifi only but maybe I should think ahead and hae a cellular ready....its only that german prepaid celluar contracts for Pads are crap today and I dont think i would need (or want) a monthly contract for data plan yet.

But if prepaid plans improve over time (currently the bought capacity must be used in 30 (rarely 90) days in most contracts or are void) I might plan to use the cellular option in rare cases or games which need some/permanent internet connection. I finally caved in and bought into Amazon prime and instant video/music is nice.

How is your experience with cellular reception/battery drainage overall satisfaction with cellular iPads now?

geigerm

Re: Does size really matter? Reloaded [iPad pro 9,7 vs iPad ridicule ingens maximus]]

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:23 pm

I've got a cellular-enabled iPad Air and am quite happy with it. I certainly try to stick to gaming on wifi whenever possible--my wife and I have a relatively measly 3 GB shared data plan--but it's particularly nice to have cell reception when traveling. I haven't done it enough to notice any significant differences with battery drain, though.

rinelk

Re: Does size really matter? Reloaded [iPad pro 9,7 vs iPad ridicule ingens maximus]]

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:14 pm

Do you have a smartphone you can tether your iPad to? I don't use the feature that often, but it's completely eliminated any interest I'd have had in the cellular iPad.

I'm kind of disappointed by the new iPad. It's underclocked relative to the existing iPad Pro, has half the RAM, and the camera bump seems like it would make laying the device flat to type, as I often do, kind of a pain. Presumably a case could fix that last, but it still feels like more of a step back than I was expecting. Despite all of which, it's still a big increase in speed from the prior model, and I'm definitely intrigued by the pencil. So I don't blame anyone who wants one.

Private Prinny

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:35 pm

Do you have a smartphone you can tether your iPad to? I don't use the feature that often, but it's completely eliminated any interest I'd have had in the cellular iPad.

I'm kind of disappointed by the new iPad. It's underclocked relative to the existing iPad Pro, has half the RAM, and the camera bump seems like it would make laying the device flat to type, as I often do, kind of a pain. Presumably a case could fix that last, but it still feels like more of a step back than I was expecting. Despite all of which, it's still a big increase in speed from the prior model, and I'm definitely intrigued by the pencil. So I don't blame anyone who wants one.
Uh half the ram? Argh? better go check my sources.
Even so the bump should be noticeable since the spec difference between Air 1 and Air 2 are huge IMHO regarding the Processor.

I have a 6+ but i find the tethering process a hazzle (I am a lazy penguin) so i almost never ever take it out to link both of em up, but with prepaid data plan i think I would gladly use the Internet more often on the pad...but as I said Data Plan is a no because I am stingy and dont plan to use THAT amount of GBs online.

The camera hump may have been an issue with my phone, but not since I bought the original 6+ Case. it wont be a problem with my iPad because it has only 3 states: in my hand, in my bag, on my bed/sofa. I am pretty sure I didn't put it down on any hard surface at all.....

Snotty128

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:18 am

I do it the other way around. My cellular ipad has a great deal for data, so when the family is out and about we use my ipad as the hotspot.

I had considered looking into the 9.7 as an upgrade to my ipad 4, but Im bummed out about this ram revelation. One of the main things I was looking to upgrade was memory, both storage and the ability to switch between apps without them having to reload.

Return to “Non-Gaming Chat”