admin
Site Admin

Review: Jagged Alliance: Rage!

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:44 am

Much like XCOM of yore, Jagged Alliance 2 raised the bar so high that no imitator managed to top it... or even reach it.

http://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/ja ... ance-rage/

skoeldpadda

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Nice to see an *actual* review of this game, and not a laundry list of how it's "not like the old ones" and therefore "not worthy of the name".
I haven't got really far, yet, but I find this take on the Jagged Alliance formula very enjoyable so far (although I admit to be a bit biased because I loved Cliffhanger's previous game, Shadowrun Chronicles, so I wanted/expected something along those lines with Rage!, and I got exactly that, down to the semi-cartoon art style). I like the idea of balancing your team with only two characters (which I guess is a choice based on how the game is playable in coop), the restrictive inventory space and injury/thirst system translate the "survival" vibe of the game fairly well, the AI's not to bad, stealth works very nicely... It's simpler than the old games, yes, but it's not dumb, and after two decades of half-assed remakes and pseudo spin-offs, having a game that really wants and tries to be a (good) sequel, right down to the plot and characters, really feels... I don't know... Special.
It's far from perfect, but I really like this game. It has character.

Return to “Strategy Gamer Front Page Discussion”