admin
Site Admin

The Best Strategy & Tactical RPGs

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:57 pm

We don’t cover many RPGs here on Strategy Gamer, mainly because the level of ‘strategy’ involved in them can vary wildly, although ultimately, it’s rarely the core purpose of the game.

http://www.strategygamer.com/articles/best-trpg/

Private Prinny

Re: <t>The Best Strategy & Tactical RPGs</t>

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Shadowrun: Hong Kong [aka Dragonfall]
Sorry but that is wrong. SR:Dragonfall is the second SR game by Harebrained Schemes Studio (SR:Returns being the first). SR: Honkong is the third game by them. The "aka" is wrong here.

Also (by being the resident TRPG nut) my definition may be too rigid but to include Mount and Blade and Kenshi on this list is more than questionable imo.
Calling Open World/Sandbox games SRPGs or TRPGs is like calling Super Mario World a cooking sim because it has Mushrooms and Plants in it...

This 2 games may be good games, but I believe they are in the wrong category here. Definitions may blur but there are clearly more suitable games (and terrific ones at that) fitting right into that category.

EICJoe

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Shadowrun: Hong Kong [aka Dragonfall]
Sorry but that is wrong. SR:Dragonfall is the second SR game by Harebrained Schemes Studio (SR:Returns being the first). SR: Honkong is the third game by them. The "aka" is wrong here.

Also (by being the resident TRPG nut) my definition may be too rigid but to include Mount and Blade and Kenshi on this list is more than questionable imo.
Calling Open World/Sandbox games SRPGs or TRPGs is like calling Super Mario World a cooking sim because it has Mushrooms and Plants in it...

This 2 games may be good games, but I believe they are in the wrong category here. Definitions may blur but there are clearly more suitable games (and terrific ones at that) fitting right into that category.
Yes Kendal did point out I'd gotten that bit wrong, I was mean't to edit that out - thanks for reminding me!

I would respectfully disagree on the latter point. Kenshi remains to be seen because we haven't had a change to try it out yet, I've just mentioned it as a "this is also out" FYI because on paper at least it seems to fit. If we play it and realise it doesn't it'll get removed.

Mount & Blade I think can be comfortably considered a strategy RPG. It's got the RPG element, and then it's got the highly tactical battles, where you're in control of all your forces but can also take part. We can agree to disagree, but I think it's a credible inclusion in a "strategy and tactical RPG" list.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

ratster

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Interesting picks. I have been playing a decent amount of BatteTech (also from HBS), which makes me wonder where it falls in the spectrum, there are RPG elements, and it's certainly tactical, not sure if it would fit in as either though, food for thought.

EICJoe

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:14 am

Interesting picks. I have been playing a decent amount of BatteTech (also from HBS), which makes me wonder where it falls in the spectrum, there are RPG elements, and it's certainly tactical, not sure if it would fit in as either though, food for thought.
We feature BT in our 'Best TBS Games' list. You're right there's certainly an RPG element to it but I think it's less prevalent than what's on this list. I generally avoid duplicating games across lists where possible, so no need to have it on both.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Strategy Gamer Front Page Discussion”