Roper

How to take advantage of affiliates and monetarily contribute...

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:12 am

Hi Strategy/War Gamer Teams,

I'd like to contribute monetarily to the site, since I use strict ad-blockers and privacy apps on my browser, but don't see an easily accessible way to do it. The best and most obvious way to contribute seems to be the affiliate partnering program since it's awesome as a win/win in that I get a new game and you guys get a commission to keep this great site going. I just tried an old article with a Humble Bundle link listed for the partnering program, but the promotional sale it was linked to has expired and the link redirects automatically to the main Humble store now with no mention of Strategy Gamer. Is there a general purpose link I can use?

I also do a lot of shopping on Amazon and could easily change the link of my Amazon bookmark but am not sure what the URL should be or how that works with them.

I can also just donate money to a Paypal Acct or maybe even look into a Patreon subscription but I don't see any links to do that either.

Hoping for your thoughts and information.

EICJoe

Re: How to take advantage of affiliates and monetarily contribute...

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:35 am

Hi Strategy/War Gamer Teams,

I'd like to contribute monetarily to the site, since I use strict ad-blockers and privacy apps on my browser, but don't see an easily accessible way to do it. The best and most obvious way to contribute seems to be the affiliate partnering program since it's awesome as a win/win in that I get a new game and you guys get a commission to keep this great site going. I just tried an old article with a Humble Bundle link listed for the partnering program, but the promotional sale it was linked to has expired and the link redirects automatically to the main Humble store now with no mention of Strategy Gamer. Is there a general purpose link I can use?

I also do a lot of shopping on Amazon and could easily change the link of my Amazon bookmark but am not sure what the URL should be or how that works with them.

I can also just donate money to a Paypal Acct or maybe even look into a Patreon subscription but I don't see any links to do that either.

Hoping for your thoughts and information.
Hey Roper,

Thanks for asking! I appreciate you wanting to contribute in lieu of helping with advertising. You are correct, affiliates is the other way you can help us, so let me try and breakdown what we do and how you can help:

* Humble - we don't have a general-purpose link with Humble at the moment. It's generally a case of when they do a sale or bundle that's relevant to one of the websites we'll write it up and the link will have our affiliate tag on it. I'm not sure what happens if you click on an old link for an expired sale - it's possible that no matter what you do after that we'll still get commission, but haven't had a chance to test that yet.

* Amazon - We're also partnered with Amazon. Again, no general purpose link but the Amazon link is quite powerful - it's supposed to last 24 hours and cover whatever you end up buying no matter where you go after clicking on the link. At the moment, we only use it for our 'Further Reading' posts on Wargamer, and an article we've done on Strategy Gamer looking at physical board games. Even if you're not interested in those books or boardgames, if you try to remember to click one of those links before buying anything on Amazon, that also helps us.

* Paradox Store - Finally, if you happen to love Paradox games, we're also not affiliated with their own store, Paradox Plaza. Again no general-purpose tag but it behaves similar to Amazon's so all you need to do is click one of our links before buying and you'll be helping us out. We're slowely rolling out affiliate links to all Paradox content, but an easy one is just to look at the Stellaris DLC Guide. the Paradox Store offers Steam keys as well as Steam-less versions of their game where available, at no extra cost, so buying direct is a great way of supporting Paradox and by-passing Steam getting their 30% cut (and still getting a steam key anyway), if that's something that's important to you.

Hope that helps. I'll keep everyone updated if we end up doing anything else.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Feedback and Help”