admin
Site Admin

Halcyon Days: Remembering SPI's Franco-Prussian War (1972)

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 am

Last week’s article prompted me to relook at one of my recommendations, SPI’s 1972 boardgame The Franco-Prussian War, 1 August to 2 September 1870, selling for a whopping $6.00 US...

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/spi-fr ... -war-game/

DeRuyter66

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:11 pm

I too have recently been digging through some of my old SPI games. I found one disadvantage to the flat counter tray style box that SPI was known for; The glue dries up on the cardboard backing on the counter tray and it comes right off. Wonder how much Noble Knight deducts for that?

Never tried the FPW though.

DonaldJohnson

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:53 pm

I really like this game system, it was the first in a family that included SPI Wilderness Campaign (which also included the Overland Campaign) and Lee Moves North (for the 1862 and 1863 invasions).

I do not think Forts are inverted in the Standard Game as they are not combat units. In any case, their hex and value is noted in the set up and they cannot move, so hiding them seems to have little purpose. One can of course put a combat unit or a dummy in a fort; the latter is one of the better uses of a dummy counter, I think.

I made some derived errata for this game to clarify some areas of possible ambiguity.

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Halcyon Days: Remembering SPI's Franco-Prussian War (1972)</t>

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Here I mean that if the fortress takes a step loss, you can turn the counter upside down to hide the current strength and over the course of a game, players tend to forget.

But yeah, I got burned at least twice by this trick.

Colonel Bill

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”